Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Christmas Cookie Recipes

no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Christmas Cookie Recipes

by Michelle R. » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:11 pm

I'm thinking of making an assortment of Christmas cookies for some of my co-workers and other friends, as gifts. Does anyone have any tried and true, really fantastic recipes they'd be willing to post?
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

Re: Christmas Cookie Recipes

by MichelleS » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:51 pm

I only do drop cookies. I say when you're making 5 plus batches you don't need the extra hassle of rolling and cutting. I posted on here before that I really need a great drop sugar cookie but I didn't get any replies. I think that I might try the chocolate chip dough for sugar cookies because it has such a nice cookie texture. If I eliminate the chips and use almond extract I think it will be good.

My favorite spice cookie:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Molasses-C ... etail.aspx

my favorite chocolate chip (and WOW this is a great recipe):
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Choco ... etail.aspx

And a super special pecan pie cookie like the one at Whole Foods

1 cup brown sugar
2 sticks butter
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 2/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon soda
2 cups toasted pecans
3/4 cup toasted pecan meal

I toast the pecans at 300 for about 10 minutes. To make the meal I just add about a cup and a half of pecans to the food processor until they have the consistency of flour.

Cream butter and sugar, add egg and vanilla and then flour, soda, pecans and meal.

Bake at 325 for about 15 minutes (cookie size is about 2 1/2 ounces)

Then I like to make oatmeal cookies (I use the recipe on Quaker Oats), but I substitute some of the extra pecan meal I have left from the pecan cookies for a little of the oats and flour, then I add dried cherries toasted coconut and dark chocolate. So good!

I also add some of the Ritz cracker peanut butter things. I don't think they are that great myself but people GO NUTS for them. Just sandwich peanut butter between two Ritz crackers and dip in melted chocolate coating. They taste like the Girl Scout peanut butter cookies. Tagalongs I think they're called now?
Last edited by MichelleS on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Those all sound fantastic!
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

by MichelleS » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Oh, and this is really pretty on a tray also.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Candy-Cane ... etail.aspx

Plus I like to give a good assortment of holiday flavors, spice, chocolate, nuts and peppermint.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:34 pm

MichelleS,

I rarely ever make cookies, but I love to buy old cookbooks at yardsales. Here's what sounds like a good sugar cookie recipe from: Out of Kentucky Kitchens - by Marion Flexner (Louisville). Published in 1949. Preface by Duncan Hines, Bowling Green, KY.

I'm guessing that you could skip the cookie cutter and do these as drops.

ROSA FLEXNER'S BUTTER COOKIES
----------------------------------------
Every collection of cookie recipes should include a delectable plain cookie, and I consider this one of my mother-in -law's outstanding. The dough is so easy to handle it can be cut into any desired shape, and it can be varied by garnishings of nuts, fruits, etc. It stays fresh a long time, too.

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 whole egg
1 extra egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Juice of 1 lemon
1 lb. flour (about 4 cups)
Extra egg white for brushing tops of cookies, plus 1 tablespoon water

Sift flour once before measuring and 3 times afterwards. Set aside. Cream butter and sugar. Add the whole egg and extra yolk, vanilla and lemon juice. Add flour, just enough to enable you to roll the dough thin - about 4 cups.

Pinch off small amounts of dough and roll as thin as possible on a floured board with a floured rolling pin. Cut out with fancy cookie cutter or make into squares or rectangles with a pastry wheel. Place side by side on greased cookie tins or biscuit pan. Brush surface of each cookie with the extra egg white beaten slightly with a tablespoonful of water. Leave plean, or sprinkle with the following topping:

2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons chopped almonds or pecans (optional)

To bake, place cookie tins in a preheated moderate oven (375 degrees) and watch to see that they do not burn. Cook until golden-brown. These cookies are crisp and crunchy and keep indefinitely in a proper container.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:47 pm

Just saw "Martha Stewart's Holiday Cookies" posted on CBS website here: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/12/ ... topStories

Dunno about the cranberry-cornmeal biscotti - I'd sure love to try 'em, but I can't imagine it being a family holiday hit. Walnut cream cheese cookies sound good, though.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

by MichelleS » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:02 pm

Speaking of Martha, I've never made these but I have wanted to try them for years. If anyone makes them, please invite me over for tea!

http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2007/07/e ... bread.html

Thanks, Leann. I'll give that a shot!
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

by MichelleS » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Another thing I have not made but I like the idea of. Cake Pops. So cute and easy.

Bakerella's blog always has adorable ideas for these and I like that you can wrap them individually to give a small gift.

http://bakerella.blogspot.com/
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

by MichelleS » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:24 pm

Yesterday I was fooling with my favorite chocolate chip recipe that I posted.

I left out the chips, subbed a teaspoon of lemon extract for the one of the vanilla, added about a teaspoon and a half of ginger and the zest of three clementines. Then I added tons of chewy dried cranberries.

PERFECT new Christmas cookie!
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:48 pm

omg, yum!
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:51 pm

Wow, this was a complete revelation to me, and I'm a pastry chef! http://www.cooksillustrated.com/video/d ... =L8NN3BA00

seriously, a boiled egg yolk passed through a strainer, used as an ingredient in cookies? But I totally trust Cook's Illustrated. What a novel idea!

Sables are cookie goodness, by the way, if you've never had them. We had to make them for finals in baking class at Sullivan - but we sure didn't use boiled egg yolks! I wonder what other recipes might be improved by boiled egg yolks?!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:03 pm

I remember my grandmother and mother sieving boiled egg yolk to use in several Scandinavian cookie recipes. I don't have those cookbooks out right now and, as I am entertaining this evening, I don't have time to look them up.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck