Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

Do you receive any cooking subscritptions?

by MichelleS » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:20 pm

If you do, which ones do you get and why do you like them?
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

Re: Do you receive any cooking subscritptions?

by John Hagan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:42 pm

I enjoy Cooks Illustrated. I really like the fact that they dont fill the whole thing with ads. The product reviews have been helpful in the past. The recipes that are given always explain WHY something happens the way it does. I also like the hand drawn illustrations. Only comes out every other month, but worth the wait.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

by AmyBK » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:00 pm

I get way too many cooking magazines but I love to read them all. I like Cook's Illustrated very much and I really like their sister publication, Cook's Country. It isn't country cooking by any means. My current favorite is Fine Cooking, published by Taunton's. Very much in the style of Cook's Illustrated, though it is a 4 color, glossy magazine with some advertising. I seem to always have several things in each issue that I can't wait to try.
I also get Bon Appetit but I have noticed that I don't cook much from it anymore and I don't find it as interesting as these other magazines.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:44 pm

MichelleS wrote:If you do, which ones do you get and why do you like them?

Michelle,

We receive (or have received in the past) the following:

Cooks Illustrated...great magazine but if you have been a longtime subscriber you will notice they start to repeat articles and recipes.

Cooking Light...Becky likes this one.

Bon Appetite...Nice to look at but I honestly haven't used to many of their recipes other than a few "holiday dishes". A good magazine if you want to see how the "other half" lives.

Cooks Country...One of my favorites. Real down to earth.

Cusine at Home...Another good one. No ads and plenty of down to earth "how to" articles.

Eating Well...We SHOULD be using a lot of recipes from this magazine (but don't). If you are into healthy eating this is the one.

Taste of Home...I despise this magazine. Not for what it is but for how they load your mailbox down with JUNK and free offers once they have you on their mailing list. If you like lots of junk mail, this is the one to subscribe to.

My favorite...Chile Pepper Magazine. LOTS of hot and spicy stuff.

I'm waiting for them to come out with a cooking magazine called "Meat and Taters". I will be all over that like a bad habit. :P
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:33 pm

I liked Cooks Illustrated for a while but thought their concept got a little old after a couple of years and let it lapse (and they continue to spam me relentlessly by Email and postal mail, which does not impress me). I used to like Bon Appetit and Gourmet but thought they got too upscale in the '90s, and have never been impressed with Saveur.

Short answer, I don't get any cooking magazines any more, but I do prowl food Websites extensively in several languages. (Not that I'm really multilingual or anything, but I can make out food and recipe terms prett well in French and Italian.)
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:27 pm

Ditto: I will pick up Cook's Illustrated from time to time,(those sneaky devils sent me a book I did not order though), Subsrcriptions: Food and Wine, Food Arts, and Taste (CIA publication)
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:48 pm

Plate Magazine is my favorite - it's an industry magazine, but the photography and sheer number of recipes is awesome!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:51 pm

Long time reader of Cook's Illustrated - except for Kimball's cheesy opening comments. Like Gourmet (Jane and Michael Stern are my favorites!), look at Southern Living less for food and more for travel. Also subscribe to Savuer (sp?), but never have time to fully read it. Slow Food materials are always good, too.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:47 am

I really like Cook's Illustrated- I've used quite a few receipes from it- and make their spiced nuts every year at this time.
I get Gourmet and occasionally pull out a piece or two to try. They can sometimes get a bit twee though.
I only get Saveur when I need to read something on a plane.
My favorite publication is the Wed NY Times, especially the articles by Melissa Clark and Mark Bittman.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:45 am

GaryF wrote: especially the articles by Melissa Clark and Mark Bittman.

Bittman also has a very good daily blog (recipes) at the NY Times web site.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:49 am

GaryF wrote:My favorite publication is the Wed NY Times, especially the articles by Melissa Clark and Mark Bittman.

Agreed on The Times, although I've always had a problem with Bittman, perhaps because he wrote a wine column in the early issues of Cooks Illustrated, and it was AWFUL. I probably hold that against him, but there's something about his style - not sure if it's cooking style or writing style - that just doesn't resonate with me.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:54 am

Marsha L. wrote:Plate Magazine is my favorite - it's an industry magazine, but the photography and sheer number of recipes is awesome!

Tell us more! I'd like to see it ... is it available to the general public? Do they have a Website? Guess I could Google, couldn't I?

Ahhh, cool! Lots of stuff online, lots of recipes, and free registration! Bookmarked!
http://www.plateonline.com/
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:09 am

http://lacucinaitalianamagazine.com/

Truly an excellent cooking mag with recipes that are well written and that work out well. Nice photography too.

David
David O.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:36 am

David O. wrote:http://lacucinaitalianamagazine.com/

Truly an excellent cooking mag with recipes that are well written and that work out well. Nice photography too.

Whoa! BOOKMARKED! Dang, I've seen that around but for some reason assumed it was Americanized Italian. I'm pretty fundamentalist when it comes to authentic Italian because I get to travel there reasonably often. I'll be using that site ...
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:52 am

Well, it looks as though O get Food and Wine now, too. Somebody gave me a subscription as a present and I just got the first issue. I'm unimpressed.
Next