Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Bethy Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 am

Louisville

Am I buying ancient beans or is it the water?

by Bethy Johnson » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:56 pm

Help! Since moving to Louisville, I've cooked two pots of black beans, a pot of flageolets, and a pot of red beans. I bought the beans at Kroger, Valu Mkt and Fresh Mkt. All four times half the beans never got tender, not even after the other half had totally fallen apart. I soaked them overnight first, didn't add salt until just before serving, used plenty of water, heavy pot, basically did everything the same way I always have butcept on an electric stove and in Kentucky (prior to now, I've pretty much cooked on the Atlantic side). I thought about buying water to cook them in, but water bottles don't say whether the water is hard or soft. Where do you guys buy your dried beans (or do you?) and do they get tender? (please don't say Pressure Cooker b/c one shrieked at me when I was little: emotionally scarred, can't deal)
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Am I buying ancient beans or is it the water?

by Doogy R » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:11 pm

Bethy Johnson wrote:Help! Since moving to Louisville, I've cooked two pots of black beans, a pot of flageolets, and a pot of red beans. I bought the beans at Kroger, Valu Mkt and Fresh Mkt. All four times half the beans never got tender, not even after the other half had totally fallen apart. I soaked them overnight first, didn't add salt until just before serving, used plenty of water, heavy pot, basically did everything the same way I always have butcept on an electric stove and in Kentucky (prior to now, I've pretty much cooked on the Atlantic side). I thought about buying water to cook them in, but water bottles don't say whether the water is hard or soft. Where do you guys buy your dried beans (or do you?) and do they get tender? (please don't say Pressure Cooker b/c one shrieked at me when I was little: emotionally scarred, can't deal)

Bethy, I wish I could help you here. I am a life long Louisvillian and have never had a problem soaking beans. And I do mean ANY bean, as I use all I can get my hands on. I use the good ol' Louisville tap. I assume you are soaking overnight, rinsing, then adding them to the recipe? This as actually befuddling as you bought your beans from 3 different locales. I'm at a loss. Sorry. :(
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:16 pm

Bethy Johnson wrote:Where do you guys buy your dried beans (or do you?) and do they get tender?

Bethy, I buy heirloom beans from http://www.ranchogordo.com which is a great artisan firm located out in Napa with sales in the Bay Area. They have an excellent web presence (click the link), and their prices, while higher than Kroger, aren't really out of line. Typically $5 a pound plus shipping, as I recall, and we'll generally put together a big order to minimize the shipping.

They have lots of recipes and cooking instructions on their site, and I've used them with Louisville tap water with great success. Basically, cover the beans with cold water plus 1 inch and let them soak at least four hours, then pour into a pot with the same water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook covered at very, very low temperature, stirring occasionally, until they're done, a process that may take 2 or 3 hours.

I don't think the water is the problem, but a couple of thoughts:

(1) DO NOT SALT UNTIL AFTER COOKING. Conventional wisdom is that salt toughens beans if used during cooking. (You can cook white cannellini beans with some fresh sage to get a great Tuscan white bean dish, though ... salt and pour in some fruity olive oil after they're done.)

(2) Use the freshest beans you can get. That's why I like Rancho Gordo: They'll only sell the previous season's beans. Cheap grocery beans may be years old, and they get tough as they dry out with age.

Visit the Rancho Gordo website, read their tips, and try them ... extra credit if you buy some of their beans.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:21 pm

A lot of people like me are looking for the 79 cents per pound beans. I am happy for you that you can afford 5 dollars a pound. Anyhow, all advice is welcome.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Bethy Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 am

Louisville

by Bethy Johnson » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:11 pm

I'm grateful, guys, for all the fast and thoughtful replies. I think I'm going to try the "hot" pre-soaking method- bring them to a boil and then let them sit a while instead of just soaking in tap water. Maybe try another local source. And, Robin, love to read all your posts and appreciate your helpfulness and love for good food. But Dude. Five dollar beans? Do they come with their own pork chop? (I'm teasing you, I've done my share of damage at gourmet sites too, just not lately.) Thanks, all.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:27 pm

Bethy,

I cook a lot of beans, and old ones too ( the flageolets I made last week were at least 1 1/2 years old), and I'm puzzled by your problem. I always use Louisville Tap water. I do regularly use this fast soak method- bring beans plus one inch water to cover to a boil. Boil for 7 minutes ( reduces gas) then let it for at least 1 hour in hot water. Drain and recover with water for final cooking. I don't salt until the second cooking. I do know that you never cook your beans in tomato- based products ( always add them after they are tender) as the tomatoes will stop the beans from getting tender- I think it's due to the acid content.

Any chance you've changed pots?

Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:33 pm

Inconsistency like you are experiencing almost always means stale beans. Where are you getting them?
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:28 am

I have never had a problem with any dried beans that I have bought. I have bought locally at Fresh Market, Whole Foods and Kroger.

Last night I watched a "Good Eats" on red beans and rice. Alton said not to bother soaking the beans, just cook them a bit longer.

While I'm not Alton's biggest fan, I must admit that probably about one/third of the time, I don't bother to soak my beans either, but it is because I haven't planned ahead.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:14 am

Bethy Johnson wrote: But Dude. Five dollar beans? Do they come with their own pork chop? (I'm teasing you, I've done my share of damage at gourmet sites too, just not lately.) Thanks, all.

HAHAHAHA!!

Good point, Bethy, but to be serious for a minute, these are high-quality, fresh dried beans, heirloom varieties grown by artisan farmers. We pay a premium for the goodies at the Bardstown and Beargrass farmers' markets, too, and we do it for a reason: We're willing to pay for quality, and we're willing to support small-farm operators who do it the old-fashioned way.

Put another way, $5 worth of Rancho Gordo beans makes about three or four meals. Try making a steak or even a chicken pay off like that. Sure, you can get Kroger beans for 79 cents, but where's the fun in that?

Click to the Rancho Gordo site - http://www.ranchogordo.com - you'll be lured over to the Dark Side. Bwahahahaaaaa ...
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 am

by Sarita C » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:15 am

I rinse them off and put them in the crock pot with water about an inch above the beans. Basically I just watch them to see when they are done. Then I add seasoning.