Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

The Benzi

User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

The Benzi

by Stephen D » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:44 pm

Francois Benzi was the first scientist to recognize that the volatile chemicals in foods could be identified and that new and unlikely flavor combinations could be predicted scientifically. From what I read on khymos.org, his first such pairing was pork liver and jasmine. His work has lead to some of the flavor pairings made famous by molecular gastronomists. I was thinking about this and decided to design a cocktail that celebrates him and his work...

This recipe hasn't been tested yet, but I will keep everyone updated, of course. It is a pousse- cafe of 3 parts and is also my excuse to ask for a gravity test kit for Christmas! :wink:

Layer: Starbucks Espresso Liqueur
Godiva White Chocolate Liqueur
Duck-fat infused Level Vodka

We have talked about fat infused liquors before, but for those who weren't privy to that thread, 80 proof spirits can be infused with fats by placing both in a container and leaving them in a freezer for no fewer than 3 days. The fat freezes, the spirit doesn't. Separate the 2 and pass the infusion through a coffee filter to remove all trace amounts of fat. The end flavor is surprisingly subtle, yet interesting!