Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

I would like a commercial range in my kitchen...

by David O. » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:47 am

I sure there are some folks here that could tell me the disadvantages of putting a commercial range in my kitchen at home. The advantages are obvious but, I looking to see if I'm not missing something on the disadvantages.

I'm cleared with my insurance company, I've got the ventilation system covered, I've got the clearance to combustibles taken care of, what else might there be?

I've been told that a commercial range is incapable of simmering at low heat. I find that hard to believe, but without personal experience with one I've got no way of knowing. But that's why I have you all. :D

I'm aware of the individual standing pilots for each burner, I was thinking I could manually light the burners as I needed them and not let the pilots burn.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, the renovation is about to begin. :shock:

Thanks,

David
David O.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Re: I would like a commercial range in my kitchen...

by Heather Y » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:14 pm

If you do a lot of cooking, and you have the room, and the ventilation ability is there, then it might be worth it.

Been in appliances for twenty years, and I have friends who are redoing their home kitchens, and are going for the Wolf free standing commercial type ranges, these can be quite expensive, but have features that some of the commercial ranges do not, for instance "duel fuel" convection oven. I have come to find that if you do any kind of baking at all, having a gas top and an electric oven work well together, not to mention it comes with a self cleaning oven. Folks order these commercial type ranges, and then realize oh sh.. I have to break out the Easy off. One advantage to the commercial oven is that you can fit commercial size full sheet pans in the oven, Wolf I believe is the only residential manufacturer to finally get that right.

The Wolf come in a 60" range, and has the duel fuel, and the "french top" and other commercial features.
The 60" has 16,000 BTU surface burners, and 500 BTU at simmer. Commercial ranges can have upwards of 28,000 BTU full open, and some do have a simmer at 7,000 BTU. It all depends on how much cooking you do, and how fast you need things to cook.
Wolf (and others, some got it right) is the home appliance manufacturers answer to the home cook who wants to have commercial ability, but did not always have the access to purchase such an item.
Just an fyi, these appliances can cost $600.00 and beyond to deliver and install.

I have included the link for Wolf, here in town Bonnycastle appliances sells Wolf, as I said these are expensive (but so are the other) you just have to weigh out what features you might like to have that the commercial appliances do not, and vice versa.

http://www.wolfappliance.com/

I personally have the GE Monogram 36" duel fuel range at home (stainless steel, iron grate, griddle in the middle) etc. It has been great.

Good luck
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:18 pm

David,

I also have the 36" GE Monogram (5 burner Gas cooktop ) and love it. I do not have experience with true commercial ranges, but my GE can crankout I think 18,000 on the middle burner- never found anything that would want more and I cook ALOT. If you are going with that kind of power- a top of the line or commercial hood, and the right people to install it, is manadatory. We got a strong overhead hood, but my contractor did a lousy job with the venting in my renovation and it doesn't pull anywhere like it should ( we keep having to open doors to avoid setting off the detectors.

As an aside: If you are seriously loooking at commercial hoods, let me know. I know where you could get a very slightly used Class A hood ( copper- covered if you like) for a very good price...

Deb
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:53 pm

by Catherine Davidson » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:22 pm

I was told by my contractor when I gutted my kitchen , that the weight of a commercial stove is also an issue. Rather than reinforce the floor, I put two Frigidaire Gallery ranges together. Gas burners, electric ovens each with their own electric warming drawers. Eight burners gets the job done! :D When I need a flat top I use two burners and a griddle pan. I had a hood built to cover both ranges.CD
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Carl Sagan
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:07 pm

wow Catherine...... When are we coming for dinner... sounds great!
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:53 pm

by Catherine Davidson » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:16 pm

The first and only time I've ever seen two ranges put together was in a kitchen designer's home. It's really helpful around Thanksgiving. You can put out an enormous amount of food with dual ranges. If one is good, two is better! CD
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Carl Sagan
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by David O. » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks for your thoughts.

The decision is between a 60" Vulcan range with (6) 28K btu burners ($3500) and a raised griddle and broiler or a Monogram "range top" with (6) 17K btu burners and griddle($2625). I going to put in a dual profile ovens in a separate cabinet.

A Monogram free standing range is around $6700 and a Viking or Wolf is in the $8000 to $10,000 plus area depending on if you get convection or not. The air starts to get a thin in the Viking/Wolf altitude. That's why I thought is better to go with a range top over a free standing range, cost.

So, the Vulcan has performance, durability and low cost going for it. But it is big, heavy, hot and probably uses a lot more fuel than the others. It weighs about 950 pounds, but that is spread over a 5 foot area, which is no more than a frig. But is it capable of simmering at lower temperatures?

Deb, I appreciate the offer on the hood, but I am going to install a stainless hood myself. That's part of what I do for a living, exhaust hoods, fans, makeup air units, filters and hvac.

Thanks again.
David O.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:42 am

Dave PM me for a better deal on the Monogram and Profile..... and double check on the service for Vulcan here in town..... I think Hobart is service, but I do not think there are others. Just a thought.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:13 pm

David,

We got our Monogram Gas Top at Bargain Supply as a scratch & Dent, ( one of my best buys ever). I've had very good luck with them for appliances: great pricing - even on special orders( they beat Lowes and Sears on my dual wall oven), their people are very knowlegeable and the service was great!

When I bought 5 years ago, they were carrying Dacor commercial ranges and tops- and possibly Wolf. You might want to check them out to see what they carry.

Deb
User

Scott Rudd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

St. Matthews

by Scott Rudd » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:51 pm

David,

I would be happy to provide you with a quote for any commercial piece your looking for in any configuration available.

One downside (if you have kids) is that there is little insulation in the oven walls...they get hot...real hot.

But, I would be happy to help

Cheers,
Scott W. Rudd-Restaurant Design
Chef Supply
"We Supply the Pros"
502-693-0636
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by David O. » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:20 am

Thanks Scott, I went ahead and ordered the Monogram this past weekend. It made everything easier to work out with stock cabinet depths and kitchen layout.

David.
David O.
no avatar
User

JimDantin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:29 pm

by JimDantin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:02 pm

I have a Blue Star range in my kitchen. It's made for the home market (zero clearance) but has the open burners and high BTU of a commercial range. Ours is a 36" RNB model -- 6 burners -- two are 22,000 BTU, three are 15,000 BTU, and one has a simmer setting (130 degrees!) The full tech specs brochure can be found here
http://www.bluestarcooking.com/pdfs/Bluestar_36_RNB.pdf
It is sold locally by Trends. Be sure to get a really high power Ventahood!

PS -- it's priced very agressively compared to the Viking, Wolfe, and other "pretty" ranges!