Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

grill pan

no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

grill pan

by Holly C » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:41 pm

I've been meaning to ask this, and then I noticed a similar comment on the grill thread, so it reminded me...

On TV a lot of the chefs use grill pans to grill indoors over their gas burners (obviously easier for filming purposes). This is essentially the same as grilling with a gas grill outside, right? I mean, I'm sure there are some differences, but if someone did not have a grill/patio/etc, then most recipes would work on an indoor grill pan, correct?

Next question: some of the grill pans are two-sided, one with raised bumps to create grill marks, and one flat, like a griddle. Is there any difference in food outcome with the bumps, other than grill marks? If the flat and raised sides are the same, then the flat side would essentially be like cooking on a large skillet/pan, other than size of cooking surface, and by extension, anything done on the grill pan (burger, for instance) would come out the same as if done in a pan over the same stove, right?

Not that any of this matters to me right now because I unfortunately am stuck with an electric stove so I cook everything in a pan or electric griddle anyway... but I thought I should figure this out soon rather than later.

Thanks!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:01 pm

I have a large grill pan that covers two burners. It is very heavy and grills practically anything beautifully. I can't recommend it enough. I have gas (not personally, I mean, but my stove!), so I can't tell you how it would work on electricity, but I use mine constantly. I can definitely tell you that the grilled vegetables taste much different. And, frankly, I have never once used the griddle side.
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:32 pm

I have a large grill pan also and have a ceramic smooth top electric stove and it works great! I love it during the winter months.
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:09 pm

You use the grill pan with an electric stove? Hmm... I guess I always assumed that since woks don't work well on electric, grill pans wouldn't either... but their shapes/designs are different, so I guess my theory was wrong. That's great news for me!

So would you all consider the indoor grill pan equal to an outdoor gas grill? At least, if I can't have an outdoor grill, would the indoor grill pan come as close as otherwise possible?

Thanks!
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:10 pm

I use the mid size George Foremon Grill and have had good luck with it.... :D
no avatar
User

AnnaC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:28 pm

by AnnaC » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:17 am

I also have a big round Calphalon grill pan that I use with success on a ceramic smooth top electric. Don't rule it out!
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:06 pm

Holly, I wasn't sure how it well it was going to work on a smooth top either, but very well to my surprise. The pan really holds and distributes the heat. I love mine, but do I like it more than an actual outdoor grill, no. I still love the results you get from the real thing.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:30 pm

I have the Cuisinart griddle/grill/panini machine. I got it for about $90.00 at Costco. I LOVE it. I'd much prefer the REAL grill, but this does a great job in a pinch, or if you're in a hurry, and too lazy to wait for the grill to heat up. :D