Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Recipe: Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake

by Deb Hall » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:52 pm

Folks,

Becca's post about "Loving all things pumpkin", made me remember to post this recipe. My original- we used to sell it at the store to accolades. I believe it's one of my best, so I wanted to share it with you all :D

If you try it, let me know what you think,
Deb

PUMPKIN PRALINE CHEESECAKE
Gourmet For Everyone

PRALINE TOPPING:

1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans

CRUST:

2 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs (about 9 ounces)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Stir cookie crumbs and cinnamon in medium bowl to blend. Add butter; stir until crumbs are moistened. Press onto bottom and 1 inch up sides of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 ¾ inch-high-sides. Double wrap outside of pan with heavy duty foil. Refrigerate.

FILLING:

3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 ½ cups canned solid pack pumpkin
1 ½ cups (packed) golden brown sugar
1 Tblsp pumpkin pie spice
1 Tblsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp ground cloves
3 large eggs

TOPPING:
¾ cup sour cream
4 tsp sugar
½ tsp vanilla

Make praline:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line baking sheet with foil. Stir sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar melts and mixture comes to boil; boil 1 minute without stirring. Mix in pecans. Spread mixture on prepared baking sheet. Bake until sugar syrup bubbles vigorously, about 8 minutes. Cool praline completely. Break into pieces. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight.)

Make Cheesecake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese in large bowl until smooth. Add pumpkin, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and cloves and beat until well blended. Add eggs, one at time, beating just until blended after each addition. Pour batter into crust. Place pan in roasting pan, then pour enough hot water into roasting pan to reach 1 inch up sides of foil-wrapped pan. Bake cheesecake approximately 1 hour 15 minutes, adding more water to roasting pan as needed. (Check after one hour for doneness.) Remove when slightly underdone and top with topping. Spread around top of cheesecake leaving a 1” edge of pumpkin showing around the rim.

Return to oven for 10 min. Cool in oven 1 hr w/ door ajar. Chill for 4 hours; then cover and chill overnight.

To serve, mound praline in the center of cheesecake.
Last edited by Deb Hall on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Recipe: Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake

by Deb Hall » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:53 pm

In case you missed this before- here's a dessert selection just in time for T-Day. ( I know, it's not very modest of me, but it's really good and I wanted to share :D )

Happy Thanksgiving!
Deb
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:53 pm

by Catherine Davidson » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:19 pm

I've eaten this dessert made by Deb, it's awesome! CD
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Carl Sagan
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

by AmyBK » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:35 pm

This sounds terrific - Deb, I'm an infrequent baker and rarely cheesecake. What am I looking for when it is slightly underdone?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:41 pm

Amy,

The top should be golden around the edges, with small cracks in the outside edges- about 1-1 1/2 inches around the rim. It shuld still be slightly jiggly in the center- kind of like jello. Does that help?

Personally, I'd always prefer a slightly undercooked cheesecake to overbaked, so don't be worried if you take it out a little too soon. Cheesecakes are very forgiving and it'll just be a little creamier.

Deb
no avatar
User

JennB

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:51 pm

by JennB » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:28 pm

Deb,
I have to say thanks for this recipe. I have been looking for one similar to replace the Cheesecake Factory one that I love and this definitely did it. It was even better thanks to the topping and prailine pecans.
Thanks again for sharing...it was FABULOUS!!!!
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well"
Virginia Woolf
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:55 pm

Jenn,

So glad you liked it! It's great to hear that someone else got to enjoy it.

Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:55 pm

A bump up to this thread and recipe from last year- I'm making mine this weekend.

Enjoy!
:D :D
Deb
User

Laura T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Louisville, KY

by Laura T » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks for bumping this up. It sounds so divine, I just might make it for 2 of my 4 Thanksgiving meals. :) Here goes nothin'!
no avatar
User

Bethy Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 am

Louisville

by Bethy Johnson » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:06 am

Speaking of your store, Deb. I miss some balsamic vinegar I got there. It was in a square bottle (brown, I think) and was a medium-ish price, probably under 20 dollars. I got it from a small shelf, sort of on a post, facing the front of the store. I transferred mine into a shaker bottle and had completely forgotten the name by the time I ran out. I've had 3 others since then but the one I got at Gourmet for Everyone is the one I am always hoping to bump into again. Do you have any idea what I'm talking about? Bethy
no avatar
User

Bethy Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Bethy Johnson » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:15 am

PS
That pumpkin praline cheesecake was the Very first amazing good thing I discovered in Louisville. I sampled it the first time I went to the store and ordered a whole one the next time. So Delicious and So exactly right. I've never made a cheesecake, but almost tried it last year when you posted the recipe and this year I'm asking for the pan for Christmas.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:57 pm

Bethy,

Thanks for the note on the Pumpkin Cheesecake- you made my day! :D I've asked Brian to inscribe "it .....was the Very first amazing good thing I discovered in Louisville" on my headstone some day. :lol: Seriously, it was very sweet of you to post.

Brian and I are thinking your missing balsamic was the Fini Balsamic- it came in a hex-shaped bottle that looked kind of square. Here it is on the Zabar's site: http://www.zabars.com/fini-balsamic-vinegar-of-modena-8.45-fl.oz./A232001,default,pd.html. I would not have thought it difficult to find- it's a pretty widely available one. You might call around town ( try Lotsa Pasta) now that you have a name. The only other one I can think of was the Romantica Gran Reserva- but that one retailed for around $30 and was a thicker, longer aged balsamic. That would probably be hard to find- we ordered that direct from the manufacturer.

Good luck hunting!
Deb
no avatar
User

Bethy Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Bethy Johnson » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:44 am

Thanks, Deb. "Her pumpkin praline cheesecake caused ridiculous happiness and defined Louisville for hoardes of grateful newcomers" wouldn't be overdoing it at all, headstone-wise. Of course, I just got a Zabar's order and splurged on the 'spensive one with the chair on the bottle. (disappointed AND I have to think about how many Finis I could have had for the money) I'd looked at the Fini several times and thought "it was sorta like that" but haven't tried it. Going to now, though, as soon as I pay off the chair.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:09 pm

Shamelessly resurrecting my own post.
( It is really good- so I just gotta share :D )

Enjoy!
Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Bump for all the Newbies who haven't seen this before. :D

Happy T-day, all!
Deb
Next