Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Local honey

no avatar
User

Paul Pfister

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:57 pm

greater Germantown

Local honey

by Paul Pfister » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:46 am

We have been selling local honey at the store for a pretty good while, but now the beekeeper says all his hives are dead. Are any of the forum members beekeepers themselves or does anyone know a local beekeeper who could continue to supply us? Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul
"a pinch or a pound, a tad or a ton"-Nuts n Stuff
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:56 am

Perkins Honey in Floyds Knobs. Mr. Perkins has been in the honey biz for years. Matt Gould of Cumberland Brews uses his honey to make meade. Call me for the phone number. 584-BREW
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:30 pm

I don't know if you've heard about it yet, but there's some sort of mystery illness causing honey bees to vanish. Do a search on "bees disappearing" and you find lots of articles.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -bees.html
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:43 pm

Coast to Coast radio talk show last night was talking a little about it and some feel that the numerous cell phones and towers are affecting there means of navagation... :D :D
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:44 am

by NicoleP » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:40 pm

I'm a beekeeper but I only have two hives. One hive swarmed (they were very testy to begin with), but the other hive is going strong. They are in Central Kentucky right now on my family's farm, but we are moving them to our property in a couple of weeks. I am getting another package of bees and starting over with the swarmed hive this year. So, I will be ready to sell some serious excess honey next fall! I hope they don't succumb to the disappearing malady that seems to be all over the news... It seems sometimes they disappear or one day you open up the hive and they are all dead. My husband has an interesting theory about how maybe GM crops are the culprit. It is a scary thing, say goodbye to bees and you say goodbye to fruits and vegetables...
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Leann C » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:48 pm

Below is an interesting quote that's been attributed to Albert Einstein. There seems to be controversy about whether or not he actually said it. Good food for thought though...whoever said it.

"If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man."
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:17 pm

The Louisville NPR show "Homegrown" did a story on the disappearing bees last year, and The New York Times has been writing about this increasingly as well. In fact, another just today: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/24/science/24bees.html. Nobody seems to know what the reason is, and it's apparently been happening in other parts of the world as well, which would (at least to me, but what do I know) seem to rule out disease. Theories include increased use of pesticides, genetically-modifed crops, the farily recent and increased use of aerial spraying of mosquitos for west nile virus, or maybe the increased clearing of land for new development, etc. Or maybe some new parasite. But nobody really knows.

There are other means of pollinating plants (and it's not all done by bees), but it's my understanding that bees are the most prolific pollinators and among the most proficient. So it's a freaky notion. I'm hoping the scientists studying the issue are coming up with new pollination methods as well. Otherwise we may all have to learn to live without a fair number of foods we take pretty much for granted or expect to start paying a small fortune for them.
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:44 am

by NicoleP » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:24 pm

great quote whoever said it!

It is a very disturbing occurence, if not only for food sources but also because (at least in my opinion) there is nothing more fascinating that the social structure of the hive. The life of a honeybee is remarkable, poetic and and tragic all at once. I am a little partial :)

global warming, bees disappearing....(shudder)....
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Leann C » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:32 pm

I've been doing some poking about on the internet and this is pretty interesting. Take a look at the last three pages of this report.

It's a straight forward listing of commercial plants that BENEFIT from pollination and that REQUIRE pollination. I would really miss watermelon!

http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/beeclass/Pollination.pdf
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:43 pm

Oh GAD! Cherries? I can't live without cherries. And musk melons! Apples, onions.... Good lord.

But didn't those illustrations look just like the pictures in those little books given to girls of a certain age so embarrassed moms wouldn't have to sit down and actually explain the "facts of life"?

Oh yeah, everything I learned about sex I learned from studying bee pollination.... Actually, that might explain some larger cultural issues, come to think of it.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Leann C » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:06 am

Sixty scientists met yesterday to try to figure out why the bees are disappearing. Here's the article:
New York Times article

(Edited by Robin to embed long, window-stretching link)
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:59 am

We had 20 hives last year and are down to 13. The weather has been really rough on them ... too warm in January (70s) and they weren't dormant and didn't have enough food (even with feeding them). Then came the extreme cold in February, then the 80s in March ... brought them all out, everything was blooming, and then the freeze in April ... stopped all the trees.

Also, there is a beetle that can get in the hive and take over the hive. It mimics the bees so it ends up pushing the bees out. My husband went to a Bee Keepers school/conference a couple of months ago. LOTS of info!!!
Rebecca Phillips Webb
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:48 pm

Leann C wrote:Sixty scientists met yesterday to try to figure out why the bees are disappearing. Here's the article:
New York Times article

(Edited by Robin to embed long, window-stretching link)

Robin, this phpBB mod will do this work for you. I have it built into my board.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:14 am

Once upon a time I used to buy some honey from the fruit stand at Bardstown Rd and Breckinridge Ln (the name of the store escapes me) The honey came from hives somewhere in the Fern Creek area. My brother & I grew up in FC so it was a nice little bit of home to send now that he's out in California but I haven't seen it in a while. Anyone know if it's still being offered? :cry:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Paul Pfister

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:57 pm

greater Germantown

by Paul Pfister » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:30 pm

Carla

The produce stand you're looking for is Garden Gate. I don't know if they stock the honey you're looking for. Good luck.

Paul
"a pinch or a pound, a tad or a ton"-Nuts n Stuff
Next