Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Potato Pancakes

no avatar
User

Mark P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:21 pm

Potato Pancakes

by Mark P » Tue May 20, 2008 12:57 pm

Hello all,
I am reaching the point of desperation in my quest to recreate "potatocakes" that my great grandmother used to make when I was a kid. She was old world Croatian with crude English writing skills. The following list is the best I can come up with, but something is missing: make patties (about an inch thick) out of mashed potatoes, an egg, flour, salt, and pepper. Fry each side in a little oil until lightly crispy.

There must be some seasoning I am missing. I can get the consistency, but there is some seasoning missing that I cant seem to put my foot on. I want to say it was similar to season salt, but not that strong. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Re: Potato Pancakes

by Stephen D » Tue May 20, 2008 2:03 pm

My guess is Hungarian Paprika.
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Tue May 20, 2008 5:40 pm

My grandmother, who was very German, added some grated onion to her potato pancakes. I have such fond memories of them but have never successfully recreated them!!! :cry:
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Tue May 20, 2008 7:13 pm

I was taught to include chopped onion & chopped celery by my Scotch/Irish/German grandmothers. No particular seasonings except salt & pepper.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Tue May 20, 2008 9:25 pm

My mother made these on a regular basis. Good (and cheap) eats! She just used leftover mashed potatoes, a beaten egg, flour, salt and pepper.

May I ask what oil you're using for frying? Have you tried butter? That would add a different flavor than vegetable oil.

Also, as for onion, I think I would go with GRATED onion as it would offer a better texture to compliment the creaminess of the mashed potatoes.

My friend Zina at Gavi's restaurant downtown serves Latkes during the Jewish holidays. I know she uses GRATED potatoes, not mashed ones. I fully realized Latkes and the potatoes cakes my momma used to make aren't the same thing, but I was surprised how similar they are. Though Momma would have NEVER have thought about serving them with applesauce or sour cream!
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue May 20, 2008 11:00 pm

One of the few things my mother made well, bless her heart, was potato cakes. Pretty much the same receipe as everyone else (not latkes-although those are delicious), sometimes grated onion, sometimes not, but always with a light coating of seasoned flour to give a bit of a crust. I sure wish I had a couple right now.