Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

cheese fondue recipe

User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

cheese fondue recipe

by DeeDee D » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:52 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good cheese fondue recipe. Does anyone have one??? Thanks!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: cheese fondue recipe

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:06 pm

DeeDee D wrote:Hey guys, I'm looking for a good cheese fondue recipe. Does anyone have one??? Thanks!

From memory, but I'm comfortable with this as an authentic Swiss fondue:

Shred about a half-pound each of Emmentaler and Gruyère cheeses (available from Lotsa Pasta, Doll's, Whole Foods and the other usual suspects) and toss them with a couple of tablespoons all-purpose flour so the cheese is lightly coated.

Rub the inside of your fondue pot with a smashed clove of garlic, and pour in a cup to a cup-and-a-half of dry white wine. (A Swiss Chasselas would be ethnically correct, but hard to find in Louisville. I'd suggest a simple Bourgogne Chardonnay from France, NOT an oaky California Chardonnay.)

Bring the wine to a simmer, but don't let it boil. Put in a tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice, then add the cheese, a little bit at a time, stirring constantly until it melts into a creamy sauce. Season to taste with salt, freshly ground white pepper and a little nutmeg, and if you like the idea, add a shot of Kirsch (clear cherry brandy) for authenticity.

Cut really good, crusty baguettes into cubes for dipping. I strongly suggest Blue Dog ... you don't want to go with anything but the best here.
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:33 pm

Ohhh....that sounds really good. Gotta swing by Blue Dog soon. I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks Any suggestions on a wine pairing?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:02 pm

DeeDee D wrote:Ohhh....that sounds really good. Gotta swing by Blue Dog soon. I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks Any suggestions on a wine pairing?

I'd just drink the same wine I cook with, DeeDee. :) I really do think a Bourgogne Chardonnay would be a good choice for both. They're not cheap any more, but you should be able to get one from Louis Jadot (for example) from Old Town in the $12 to $15 range.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Cheese fondue.

by Doogy R » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:36 am

All this talk of cheese, wine and bread has me drooling. What a nice way to go to sleep, then wake up in the morn and go collect some goodies. YUMMO. Thanks for the dreams.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

Cheese Fondue

by James Paul » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:10 am

About the same as Robin's there but no Emmentaler.

1 garlic clove, crushed
2/3 cup dry white wine
Juice of half a lemon
8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon Kirsch
Freshly ground pepper and grated nutmeg.

For Dipping:
1 cup cubed French bread
1/2 cup broccoli florets, blanched until tender and cooled
12 cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup quartered artichoke hearts. You get the idea.
1 large trout.....ahem

Rub inside of flameproof earthenware fondue pot or 2-quart saucepan with garlic clove. Add wine and lemon juice and heat over low heat, just until gently bubbling. Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly until smoothly melted. Meanwhile, whisk cornstarch with Kirsch and seasonings until blended to a smooth paste, stir it into cheese and cook 3 minutes more. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Enjoy 8)
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Cheese Fondue

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:02 am

James Paul wrote:About the same as Robin's there but no Emmentaler.

That would make for a strong fondue, not that there's anything wrong with that! :wink:

For the record, as I understand a classic fondue, it uses both cheeses (accept no substitutes) in order to attain more depth of flavor: Emmentaler is mild, Gruyère is funky (especially aged Gruyère), and mixing them gives you a little of both. Most people start with half and half, then tweak the proportions to get a flavor that's just right. Lovers of stinky cheese could certainly go with 100 percent aged Gruyère.
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:55 pm

Robin, well we had our fondue! It was great. Thanks for the recipe. The Blue Dog bread was sooooo good. I loved how it really soaked up all that luscious cheese!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:34 pm

DeeDee D wrote:Robin, well we had our fondue! It was great. Thanks for the recipe. The Blue Dog bread was sooooo good. I loved how it really soaked up all that luscious cheese!

Thanks for reporting, DeeDee! I'm really glad it worked out. :)
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:33 pm

The best fondue I've had yet was Alton Brown's recipe.

Fondue Vudu Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

1 clove garlic, halved
1 (12-ounce) bottle hard apple cider
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon brandy
Pinch kosher salt
5 ounces (2 cups) Gruyere, grated
5 ounces (2 cups) Smoked Gouda, rind removed, grated
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
Several grinds fresh ground black pepper

Rub inside of fondue pot or heavy small saucepan with garlic. Pour cider into pot. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, the brandy and salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, grate the cheese and toss well with the cornstarch in a large bowl. When the cider just begins to simmer, gradually add the cheese a handful at a time, allowing each addition to melt completely before adding the next. Continue adding cheese and stirring until all cheese is incorporated, about 3 minutes. If mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat to low. The mixture is ready when creamy and easily coats the back of a spoon. Stir in curry powder and pepper. If cheese seems stringy, add some or all of the remaining lemon juice. Move fondue pot to alcohol warmer, and keep stirring during service. A variety of breads, from pumpernickel to rye to bagel chunks can be skewered and dipped as can cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms and potatoes. (Soften all vegetables by blanching briefly in boiling water then chilling.) Crisp fruits such as apples make great fondue fodder, as do cooked meats and sausages. Even soft pretzels make for good dipping. If any fondue is left over, cover with ice water and refrigerate, pour off water and reheat over low heat.