Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 am

cooking lobster (I'm a wimp going to attempt to get over it)

by Sarita C » Fri May 09, 2008 9:35 pm

Hello All,

I literally live within 7 minutes of Clearwater Foods.
This summer armed with very new Shun knives I plan to attempt to cook a lobster.

Little squeamish but it's one of those culinary things I would like to try.

How long can you store these little buggers in your crisper for optimal flavor on the weekend given that Clearwater is only open from M-F?
Any other tips (outside of going to Red Lobster) would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Sarita
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Re: cooking lobster (I'm a wimp going to attempt to get over it)

by Ed Vermillion » Fri May 09, 2008 11:47 pm

Hi Sarita,

I have a friend from Maine who says either of these methods works well depending on your pot size and preference. I boil 'em and he steams 'em and they taste the same.

http://www.gendronsseafood.com/howtocoo ... obster.htm

Don't know about how long you could keep them as they don't last long at my house. :D

Clearwater is a great place to get inexspensive culls.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun May 11, 2008 3:48 pm

Sarita,

According to About.com:
http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodstorage/a/lobsterstorage.htm
After buying a live lobster, be sure to get it in the refrigerator covered with a damp cloth as soon as possible and cook within 12 to 18 hours. Do not let it sit out at room temperature for more than half an hour and never put a live lobster in fresh water for storage purposes. (I was surprised: I would have thought 24 hrs).

I personally boil them: particularly if you are squeamish, this is an easier option. Just make sure you have a pot big enough to submerge the entire lobster before selecting a larger lobster- I bought a 3 + lb monster one there once, thinking I'd get more meat than two 1 1/2 lb, and arrived home realizing it was too big for even my largest pot. (The claws were as big as my hand!) I had to cut it into pieces prior to cooking (That was a little yucky). Well worth the effort, though. :D

DEb
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sat May 17, 2008 1:16 pm

You could do as the Aussies and toss them on the barbie. Place a skewer through the tail, longways to keep the tail from curling. Your grill should be on high on one side and low on the other side. Start your lobsters on the hot side, stomach- down. Cook for 4- 5 mins, Then flip and cook for 4- 5 mins. Pull them to the low side of the grill and wait. When the albumen (juice) starts wanting to come out of the hole made by the skewer, you're done.

For a more humane technique of dispatching the lobster, place the tip of your knife in the top of the lobster's head, right where the body plate meets the head plate (in the center.) Cut into the lobster here and you sever the brain. No screaming, and I am told the lobster supposedly tastes better because the stress hormones released by an agonizing death aren't released. Not sure about that one, although it does make sense.
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sarita C » Mon May 19, 2008 7:39 am

Thanks for all of your tips. I think it's going to take a few tries by boiling before I brave spearing the tail and throwing the little bugger on the grill. I just purchased a sweet set of Shun knives that I've been dying to try out on something like this so I'll try the knife thru the brain trick when I do. I'll let you know how it turns out. Trying to get some friends together for support and a good dinner.
no avatar
User

Tommy Walters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:51 pm

Lexington

by Tommy Walters » Mon May 19, 2008 10:24 pm

Right when you get home....submerge the lobster in two bottles of a dry champagne or your favorite white wine....

keep them in the fridge in the wine or champagne until you are ready to boil them......

for your water you need to use a generous size pot......add onion, salt , cayenne, lemon and what ever else you enjoy.......bring the water to a rolling boil....drop the lobsters for 8 minutes...DO NOT OVERCOOK.....

enjoy the whole lobster...not just claws and tails....the head and body have meat in many places ......also the tamale too is fantastic

melt some butter.........and Giddy Up!!!!!!!
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sarita C » Thu May 22, 2008 7:17 am

Wow. I guess if I was facing impending doom I'd like to be drowned in Chardonnay too. :lol: