Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Help please - International Shipping of Perishables

by Kim H » Thu May 08, 2008 11:02 pm

We have a friend in Belize, and we'd like to send him a little gift package, but I'm not sure what we can send. I realize I could probably just call the post office, but I'd like to know what others' experiences have been. We're planning on sending some benign items, but also a pint of Makers, a Louisville Slugger mini bat, a carton of cigarettes packed loosely, and a couple of home-baked items. I don't know what's allowed to be shipped internationally, and it potentially could look like a fight in a box! Any input??
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Help please - International Shipping of Perishables

by Ethan Ray » Fri May 09, 2008 1:05 am

quick google search...

hope this helps:

UPS: Restricted and Prohibited Items

USPS: Aviation Mail Security & Hazardous Materials

DHL: Prohibited and Restricted Commodities

i started to poke around FedEx, to no avail.

you may be safe with the Marbs (possibly) and baked goods, but the Maker's could be a problem to ship internationally.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 09, 2008 8:11 am

Kim H wrote:We have a friend in Belize, and we'd like to send him a little gift package, but I'm not sure what we can send. I realize I could probably just call the post office, but I'd like to know what others' experiences have been. We're planning on sending some benign items, but also a pint of Makers, a Louisville Slugger mini bat, a carton of cigarettes packed loosely, and a couple of home-baked items. I don't know what's allowed to be shipped internationally, and it potentially could look like a fight in a box! Any input??

As for the Makers, the US Postal Service (presumably under the influence of the teetotal lobby) forbids shipping all alcoholic beverages, and this applies in both domestic and international mail.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri May 09, 2008 4:39 pm

I remember as a kid my Dad had some Hugarian Golden Pear Brandy shipped from Canada...I remember my Mom getting a call from I think the FBI wanting to speak to my Dad. The agent was a friend of my Dad and I was told that He told my Dad that a package came for you marked books and some of the books were leaking....... :lol:
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat May 10, 2008 2:32 pm

robert szappanos wrote:I remember as a kid my Dad had some Hugarian Golden Pear Brandy shipped from Canada :lol:

Be careful .. be VERY careful of Hungarian Pear Brandy
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat May 10, 2008 3:14 pm

Wish I could find it around here.. :cry:
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun May 11, 2008 11:36 am

Kim,

Having shipped things to Korea for a year to someone stationed overseas, here are some suggestions:

Talk to your friend about how long packages typically take to arrive before sending home-baked items: some countries can take a couple of weeks for regular shipping rendering your home-baked goodies inedible.

Assuming the above works, Loaf cakes and large cookies ( chocolate chip, oatmeal, etc) or bar cookies tend to travel best. Google articles on "mailing Christmas cookies" for suggested recipes. Assume that your package will be handled by Gorillas and pack it accordingly.

Foods not needing refrigeration for a week or so in transit: Cyrovac-ed salamis (Columbus brand) and Country ham (Broadbent).

Kenny's cajun microwave popcorn is light weight, easy to pack and local- They always loved it.

Deb
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sun May 11, 2008 12:20 pm

This topic got me curious, having, in the past, shipped to Canada, Germany, Jamaica, Turkey, Japan and Afghanistan. So I did some online searching. It appears that two big no-nos for shipping to Belize are tobacco and artificial sweeteners such as Saccharin. http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/ab_021.htm
Additionally, the recipient will need to pick up the package as well as pay duty on the gift, so one is recommended not to insure or place high value on package. http://www.belizeforum.com/ubb/ultimate ... 4;t=001963
http://www.belizenorth.com/utilities.htm

I’m leery of Deb’s suggestion to ship meats such as “Cyrovac-ed salamis (Columbus brand) and Country ham (Broadbent).” I know that I could not ship either to Jamaica and when travelling to Jamaica I have had Cyrovaced country ham impounded.

I would strongly suggest that you go a USPS office and ask for their list of mailing prohibitions for Belize. Additionally, I might check with UPS, FedEx or DHL.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Additional thoughts on internationl shipping

by Gayle DeM » Sun May 11, 2008 1:27 pm

Kim, FYI: When preparing your package make certain that you have selected a sturdy container, cushion the contents and secure the package adequately. It is preferred that wrapping paper be omitted if the box itself is an adequate container. Filament-reinforced tape should be used for the closure and reinforcement of the parcel. Twine and cord, although permitted, are not encouraged because it tends to catch and bind in processing equipment. Your package will require a customs form and must meet the regulations of the recipent country.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck