Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Beans for refritos

User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

Beans for refritos

by Tom Holstein » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:08 pm

I'm searching for dry Mayocoba beans to whoop up some refrieds. Does anyone have a source?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Beans for refritos

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:24 pm

Tom Holstein wrote:I'm searching for dry Mayocoba beans to whoop up some refrieds. Does anyone have a source?

Without looking at their catalog, Tom, Rancho Gordo is my go-to place for dry beans. I generally buy about 10 bags in an order to hold down shipping costs. Amazing people, wonderful heirloom beans from California, Mexico and Europe. Check it out ... highly recommended. If they don't have the exact bean you're looking for, I'll bet they have something very close - and that they'll be quickly responsive to Email requests for information.

http://www.ranchogordo.com
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Tom Holstein » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Tom Holstein wrote:I'm searching for dry Mayocoba beans to whoop up some refrieds. Does anyone have a source?

Without looking at their catalog, Tom, Rancho Gordo is my go-to place for dry beans. I generally buy about 10 bags in an order to hold down shipping costs. Amazing people, wonderful heirloom beans from California, Mexico and Europe. Check it out ... highly recommended. If they don't have the exact bean you're looking for, I'll bet they have something very close - and that they'll be quickly responsive to Email requests for information.

http://www.ranchogordo.com

Muchas gracias......I've emailed a query about Maocobas. They have Santa Maria Pinquito Beans and Marrowfats! :) I'll be building an order shortly if anyone wants in. Flat $8.00 shipping from CA isn't too bad.

Off to peruse more RG offerings.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:21 pm

Tom, I know that Rancho Gordo guy from another food forum. He is a real character and a really nice, genuine person. He won't know me by my real name, though - I use a pseudonym on that board. Everyone swears by his heirloom beans - good call, Robin!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Tom Holstein » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:05 pm

I haven't heard back from Rancho yet.

I stopped by Choi's Market in Lyndon to pick up some Hamachi and they had Mayocobas for $1.79/lb. I'm not sure if quality is on par w/RG but it's worth a try.

Thanks for the advice!