Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Recipe: Mint Julep Brownies

by Deb Hall » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:40 am

I love this recipe for Derby entertaining: it's the only Mint Julep I can honestly say I like ! :wink:

The recipe comes from Mark Williams, Executive Chef at Brown-Forman; he did it for a Derby cooking class for us last year. For really great results, use fine chocolate (I prefer Callebaut semi-sweet pistoles) and a premium Kentucky Bourbon- while usually you cook with a lesser bourbon, you want to use the "good stuff" for this recipe .

Woodford Reserve Kentucky Bourbon Mint Julep Chocolate Brownies
Created by “The Spirited Chef”, Mark Williams, Brown-Forman Corp. Louisville, KY
12 ounces semisweet chocolate
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/3 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 cup cake flour
½ cup Woodford Reserve Kentucky Bourbon
1 tsp. mint extract
½ cup chopped pecan or walnut pieces (optional)
Powdered sugar
Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment or waxed paper. Butter and flour parchment and sides of pan. Chop or break chocolate into small pieces. Melt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat. Pour into mixer bowl. Cool slightly. Beat butter into warm chocolate. Beat in sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Blend in flour on low speed. Do not over mix. Stir in Kentucky Bourbon, mint extract and nuts, if using. Pour into pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in pan. Dust with powdered sugar and cut into 20 large brownies.

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Recipe: Mint Julep Brownies

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:41 am

Deb Hall wrote:I love this recipe for Derby entertaining: it's the only Mint Julep I can honestly say I like ! :wink:

Oh ... my ...

Thanks, Deb! I think I see that one on the Derby schedule for this year!
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:11 am

That may be the only Mint Julep I will partake in!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Doubling this recipe

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:01 pm

Do you baking experts out there think this recipe could be doubled by simply multiplying all ingredients by 2? With yeast it might be a little more tricky, but I don't see anything here that would cause a problem in making a batch twice this size. Comments, anyone?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:01 pm

Robin,

While I have not tried it, I don't see any potential problem with doubling this, other than getting the right volume pan and possibly cooking just a short while longer if the depth is not the same. Personally, I would double the ingredients and then bake in two separate 9x13 pans: much easier than trying to adjust.

Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:32 pm

Several people enjoyed this last year, so I'm bumping it up for those who haven't seen it before.

Happy Derby, Folks!

Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:41 pm

I was searching for this recipe and thought these deserved a bump.

It's Derby time and these are very good. :D

Enjoy!
Deb
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:27 am

Query for the bakers - could this be made the night before, put into the pans, put in the fridge, then baked the next day? Or would something screwy happen with the yeast?
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:Query for the bakers - could this be made the night before, put into the pans, put in the fridge, then baked the next day? Or would something screwy happen with the yeast?

Brad,

There is no yeast ( which could cause an issue with over rising) . You could do the batter ahead and cook later, but I wouldn't as you want them to cool before frosting. I always prep these completely ahead and either store ( for 3-4 days) or freeze them cut-into pieces ( up to several months.) Frosted brownies freeze extremely well- in fact mine are being made and frozen tomorrow.

Deb :D
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:39 pm

Deb Hall wrote: Brad,

There is no yeast ( which could cause an issue with over rising).

Duh. I think I saw Robin use the word "yeast" and just assumed.

I suppose, then, I could make the batter the night before, put it in the pans, then the fridge, then bake the next morning, allow to cool, and then frost. I wouldn't need them until mid-afternoon on Derby Day, I just try to not do any cooking that day to the extent possible (can't really make cheese grit souffle ahead of time).
-Alton Brown
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:

I suppose, then, I could make the batter the night before, put it in the pans, then the fridge, then bake the next morning, allow to cool, and then frost. I wouldn't need them until mid-afternoon on Derby Day, I just try to not do any cooking that day to the extent possible (can't really make cheese grit souffle ahead of time).

Brad,
You could, but why? Do you have an oven conflict the night before? Just cook the night before and let cool overnight- then frost in the morning if desired. Personally I'd complete them and cut them the night before- quality is perfect the following day, and letting them sit for a while after frosting gives a nice "bite" to the very top of the icing.

Deb
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:35 am

Deb Hall wrote:
Brad Keeton wrote:

Brad,
You could, but why? Do you have an oven conflict the night before? Just cook the night before and let cool overnight- then frost in the morning if desired. Personally I'd complete them and cut them the night before- quality is perfect the following day, and letting them sit for a while after frosting gives a nice "bite" to the very top of the icing.

Deb

Good suggestion. I'm sold.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

Am I missing something or is there not an icing recipe on the original page?

MissChele
MissChele
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue May 10, 2011 5:18 pm

Michele Cull wrote:Am I missing something or is there not an icing recipe on the original page?

MissChele

No, Michele- you are right. The original has no frosting, just poweder sugar ( and then I garnish with mint). Good chocolate buttercream would be good too.

Deb
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed May 11, 2011 11:35 am

Deb Hall wrote:
Michele Cull wrote:Am I missing something or is there not an icing recipe on the original page?

MissChele

No, Michele- you are right. The original has no frosting, just poweder sugar ( and then I garnish with mint). Good chocolate buttercream would be good too.

Deb

I topped then with a basic ganache frosting (scratch-made, of course). They turned out great. Thanks for the recipe, Deb.
-Alton Brown
Next