Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Beef and Noodles Recipe

no avatar
User

Broc Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Beef and Noodles Recipe

by Broc Smith » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:58 pm

When my Grandmother was alive, she made the world's best beef and noodles. I think I like the size of the noodles best. I'm going to attempt to make them again tomorrow, but I could use any tips that anyone may offer.

The noodles are eggs and flour and I believe the cut of meat was chuck roast. The noodles were always served over mashed potatoes.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome.
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

Re: Beef and Noodles Recipe

by Jeff T » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:47 pm

Broc
I have a dutch oven full of that as you post. I usually use a chuck roast. The noodles I use are store bought (GASP!!) they are Reames homestyle flat noodles. Very much like dumplings, these are found in the frozen food isle. They are thicker than a packaged egg noodle and wider too. I usually sear my chuck roast on all sides, season with whatever you like, plop it in a covered dutch oven with some beef broth, carrots, onions and the frozen noodles. 275 degrees until fork tender usually 2 to 3 hours.
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:05 pm

Oh,
I also apologize in advance to anyone on this forum that may be offended that I actually bought pre-made noodles from a corporate business and not from a local artisan noodle maker or green friendly co-op that supports peace, love and world harmony. In addition I also drove my SUV to the store and picked up some Budweiser to boot.
no avatar
User

Stacy Roof

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Louisville, KY

by Stacy Roof » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:13 pm

One of my favorite things to make is my husband's Grandmother's chicken with homemade noodles. I'll give you her "recipe" and you can sub the beef for her chicken. Keep in mind, she's 81 years old and I wrote down her instructions verbatim. My editorial comments will be in parentheses.

"In a large bowl put flour (several cups) and put a hole in the middle of the flour
Beat 2 or 3 eggs with a pinch of salt and half an egg shell of milk (that's my favorite "measurement"), pour in hole
Add flour from the sides until it's not sticky, then roll out pretty thin and cut lonh noodles (I use a pizza cutter on a floured counter), then cut those noodles in half
Boil whole chicken with salt and pepper until done, remove and cool, pull meat and add back to broth. Sprinkle a bit of flour into broth to thicken. Do not hard boil the broth when you add the noodles."

This is best when the noodles low simmer for a couple of hours - even better the next day. I *love* this recipe and make it at least once a month for the family. If you try, please let me know how it turns out!
Stacy Roof
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:48 pm

Jeff T wrote:Oh,
I also apologize in advance to anyone on this forum that may be offended that I actually bought pre-made noodles from a corporate business and not from a local artisan noodle maker or green friendly co-op that supports peace, love and world harmony. In addition I also drove my SUV to the store and picked up some Budweiser to boot.

:lol: