Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Lamb Chops or Rack?

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Lamb Chops or Rack?

by Kim H » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:05 pm

I know there is a lamb loin thread (which sounds incredible, btw!), but I am specifically asking about lamb chops, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I would like to grill some lamb chops for Easter Sunday, but I embarrassingly admit that I have never cooked them. My thought was to marinate them in some olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and fresh rosemary, parsley, and thyme, and cook them on med-hi heat to a med rare. My questions are this: I'm not sure which cut of lamb chops to use, for one. I have seen suggestions for loin, rib, and sirloin. Which do you all recommend? Also, where should I purchase them? I hope I'm not too late. Someone I know with culinary training suggested that I either use a double loin chop, bone in, or grill the entire rack. I kind of want more of the grill flavor that I'm not sure an entire rack would offer, though. Thoughts?

Also, would you do a sauce with this? I don't know that it's necessary, and I still want to be able to taste the lamb itself. What sides would you recommend? I thought about some grilled asparagus and a spring salad, but I'm open to suggestions. TIA!
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Lamb Chops or Rack?

by Marsha L. » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:54 pm

Hey Kim -

The good thing about grilling an entire rack at a time is that you can sear the outsides on the grill and still have them be beautifully rare when you cut them apart as you plate them. I hope you like rare meat; baby lamb chops should be eaten very rare. Your marinade sounds perfect...just don't leave them in the marinade for more than 6 or 8 hours, baby lamb chops are very tender and will soak up your marinade like a champ.

Asparagus is a wonderful side for lamb. I'd also like to suggest an aromatic Israeli or Lebanese cous cous (you can buy both at Lotsa Pasta), or deep-fried battered squash blossoms. I know you are that adventurous, Kim!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Kim H wrote:I know there is a lamb loin thread (which sounds incredible, btw!), but I am specifically asking about lamb chops, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I would like to grill some lamb chops for Easter Sunday, but I embarrassingly admit that I have never cooked them. My thought was to marinate them in some olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and fresh rosemary, parsley, and thyme, and cook them on med-hi heat to a med rare. My questions are this: I'm not sure which cut of lamb chops to use, for one. I have seen suggestions for loin, rib, and sirloin. Which do you all recommend? Also, where should I purchase them? I hope I'm not too late. Someone I know with culinary training suggested that I either use a double loin chop, bone in, or grill the entire rack. I kind of want more of the grill flavor that I'm not sure an entire rack would offer, though. Thoughts?

Also, would you do a sauce with this? I don't know that it's necessary, and I still want to be able to taste the lamb itself. What sides would you recommend? I thought about some grilled asparagus and a spring salad, but I'm open to suggestions. TIA!

Lamb Chops are cut from a lamb rack, by cutting between each vertebrate.
Lamb Loin can be cut from a lamb rack, by cutting the bones off the meat along the width of the rack (in one piece! don't hack it up!)

Truth be told, while cutting a loin from a rack is not technically the loin primal, it comes from the same stretch of muscles, and is usually easier to work with and more accessible to the consumer.
Most restaurants selling "Lamb Loin" are cut from the rack. (this is still technically loin, just from the small rib end)

Buy two racks and try it both ways. (leave them whole... don't cut into silly little chops until after you cook it.)
And let it rest before you cut it!

best of luck.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

Bob B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:39 pm

Germantown

by Bob B » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:17 pm

I saw , on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives, on the Food network, a little place in Texas that serves DEEP FRIED Lamb Chops :shock: OMG!!!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:29 pm

Bob B wrote:I saw , on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives, on the Food network, a little place in Texas that serves DEEP FRIED Lamb Chops :shock: OMG!!!

Bob, one of Marcella Hazan's early books had a pretty good prep for a lamb chop that's breaded with grated Parmigiano and sauted ... it's no low-fat diet special, but I've made it once or twice, and yes, "OMG" does apply.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:25 pm

Your freind was correct. Definately get the bone- in double chops. For the quality stuff (at the quality price,) go to Whole Foods and get New Zealand or Colorado lamb. The pinker the meat the better. They should already have them 'frenched.' This simply means the bones have been cleaned above the loin. If not, take a pairing knive and scrape the bones clean above the loin.

If you want pretty, clean looking bone- tips, wrap the exposed bone in aluminum foil. If your doing them more in the rustic- style, don't. Exposed, the bones will get a char using this method.

Get your grill screaming hot on one side and mid to low one the other. Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare- ups. Make sure you grill or meat is properly oiled and then grill the chops on the hot side for 2- 3 minutes, not moving them. 2 minutes on the second side at a 45 deg angle. Then move them to the cold side and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Check the temp of the meat. To the touch, they should have just a bit less give than the center of the web of your hand when you make a relaxed fist.

As Ethen had mentioned, you gotta rest the meat for about 3- 5 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute.

A nice variation on this theme is to rub infused yogurt on the chops before you grill them. Makes a hella mess but is well worth the clean- up. Oh yea, and you might not wanna marinate them first. The added liquid will repel the yogurt.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:52 am

Wow, you all are awesome!! When are you offering hands-on classes? ;o)

I didn't do the lamb rack as I planned after much input from here and other sources. I went to my convenient grocer (kroger, sorry), and the racks they had were over $40, and didn't look very big. I knew a rack of lamb wouldn't be cheap, but $44 to feed 2 at home sent me over. I can't even tell you how much it was per pound - I experienced true sticker shock, and told the man :shock: . I opted for the ground lamb, and made those lamb burgers I was thinking about a few weeks ago (thanks again for your thoughts on that!) They turned out great, and we were happy, but I haven't let the lamb rack idea go yet.

Thanks to Marsha, I will most always cook my red meat to rare-to-med rare. I'm all over the squash blossom idea, but I don't know where to get them except maybe Creation Gardens. Do you know where else I might be able to get them? What would you stuff them with?

Bob B - If you can deep fry an entire turkey, I don't see why you couldn't do it w/other meat, so I bet it is good. But people in Texas are just plain weird, so who knows. ;o) Kidding. Ironically, I used to know a Bob B from Texas. (he was kinda weird, but i liked him anyway ;o )

Ethan
- Thank you always for the knowledge and input. I want to go with the rack idea, and you input is one of the main reasons why. Maybe this w/e if hubby feels better and weather allows. Otherwise, it's chicken curry, and I might bug you with new questions! :D

Stephen D - Wow, thank you so much!!! Your detail and intructions for the grill were awesome - can't tell you how much I appreciate that. We have this monster charcoal grill that is perfect for your method.

New Question for all you experts - what about that huge layer of FAT on these racks of lamb???? What do you do about that? Am I looking at the wrong places (saw them at /Costco for $14.99, big difference from $44 at Kroger, but a little smaller. still a big layer of fat). Also, I will most likely get my racks of lamb at WF, but ... is this common? I'm a newbie on the lamb (ha), and could use some input regarding what to do with the layer of fat.

Babble, babble. Thanks all!!!!!

Kim : o )
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:12 pm

OK, not related to the question exactly, but I picked up a semi-boneless leg of lamb at Whole Foods today to fix for "Sunday supper" tomorrow. Can't wait to start cooking tomorrow afternoon while the lovely bride is at yoga dreaming of a good dinner when she gets home! (great sea bass for dinner tonight, by the way - Whole Foods also - expensive trip there this morning!)
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:12 pm

Kim, good lamb chops will always have that thick layer of fat. You need to trim it off, or MOST of it off. I know at L&N the line cooks got to be experts at carving away all but a thin, 1/4" strip of the fat there where the bone starts to be exposed. Then when on the grill, that strip would pretty much melt away into the meat, adding extra flavor.

You don't have to stuff squash blossoms necessarily, Kim, just batter and fry 'em. But you could stuff them with anything you like: a cheese and nut combo would be nice, say toasted walnuts and blue cheese with some herbs.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist