Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Decorator Buttercream Frosting

by Gretchen D. » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:33 pm

I posted this to the "old forum", and then found this cool new spot to ask for help! I'm looking for a good recipe for decorator buttercream frosting. I know there are lots of you who are chefs or really like to cook, so I am asking for your help! My 5 year old daughter wants to celebrate my "half birthday" and bake and decorate a cake. Please either email me your amazing "secret" recipe ( and I'll keep it under wraps) at gretchendillman@yahoo.com, or post a cookbook/website that has one you have tried and had success with. I have looked online, and there are too many to choose from, so I'm asking the experts! But NO crisco only recipes, please; we like real butter... but my butter icing tastes great but never really turns out like the wedding cake kind. Thanks a million!
User

Christopher Rieger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Louisville, KY

Cream Cheese Frosting

by Christopher Rieger » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:48 am

I've made this recipe before that went along with a carrot cake. The cake was a bit dense, but the icing had very good flavor. Make sure to use real vanilla extract and not the imitation stuff. I suppose you can adjust the fluffiness of the icing by giving it some speed time with a KitchenAid to drive more air into the mixture.

Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_29955,00.html

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 ounces cream cheese
2 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
9 ounces powdered sugar, sifted, approximately 2 cups

In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese and butter on medium just until blended. Add the vanilla and beat until combined. With the speed on low, add the powdered sugar in 4 batches and beat until smooth between each addition.

Place the frosting in the refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes before using.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

the Highlands

Re: Cream Cheese Frosting

by Gretchen D. » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:38 am

Thanks, I appreciate your help. However, I do have a fabulous cream cheese frosting recipe. I am looking for a recipe that's like the kind on a custom birthday or wedding cake... plain buttercream that is stiff enough to decorate with.

I looked over the cream cheese frosting recipe you use, which is definitely different than mine and wanted to suggest adding a little bit of lemon juice to it next time you try it. I feel that really adds dimension to the frosting.

Thanks Again, Gretchen.
no avatar
User

Lia U.

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:10 am

My mother's Wedding Cake Icing Recipe

by Lia U. » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:55 pm

3 cups confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup butter (shortening can be used in a pinch)
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (not imitation)
1/4 tsp. almond extract

Mix together until well blended. To ice the cake it can be used as is. To make lovely decorator designs: put in decorator bags, I put it in after mixing & then refrigerate for 30 minutes. If it starts getting to soft, I re-refrigerate. To have a few bags in the fridge when you start a cake helps speed up the process, then no need to "wait" for the one bag to re-chill.

It's been a family favorite for as long as I remember.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:10 am

Thanks Lia! I guess patience pays off for me this time... I appreciate you sharing your family recipe. The next time I am baking a birthday cake, I will give this a try! Too bad I just missed out... my youngest just had her half birthday on New Year's Day. Maybe I'll try it and color it pink for Valentines!!