Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Bay Leaves?

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Bay Leaves?

by Kim H » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm confused on bay or laurel leaves, and am hoping for some clarification. For years, I've heard that the bay leaves are not easily digestible, and are therefore, recommended as a flavoring agent to be removed, not an actual herb to be added to a dish. But recently, I have been seeing recipes that suggest adding them to a spice blend (ground) or added to a puree. (I'm specifically researching chimichurri's, but I've seen them used in other similar ways) Is bay leaf good to eat if it's ground or finely chopped? I'm probably just behind on this, or ignorant all together, but was hoping for some enlightenment. TIA!
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: Bay Leaves?

by Lois Mauk » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:49 pm

Dear Kim:

Bay leaves aren't poisonous; however, they are quite indigestible. Whole, they have a bitter taste.

I have a bay tree that's wintering over right now in my kitchen and rely on that plant for bay leaves, which I use fresh and whole. But, the dried leaves can be crushed or ground into a powder and used in foods without taking the trouble of being removed.

Aside from the bitter taste of whole leaves, another reason for removing them from food prior to being served is that large pieces or whole leaves have sharp edges, don't break down or tenderize even after hours of cooking and can cause choking if swallowed.

Hope this information is helpful.

Lois
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Re: Bay Leaves?

by Kim H » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:14 pm

Lois Mauk wrote:Dear Kim:

Bay leaves aren't poisonous; however, they are quite indigestible. Whole, they have a bitter taste.

I have a bay tree that's wintering over right now in my kitchen and rely on that plant for bay leaves, which I use fresh and whole. But, the dried leaves can be crushed or ground into a powder and used in foods without taking the trouble of being removed.

Aside from the bitter taste of whole leaves, another reason for removing them from food prior to being served is that large pieces or whole leaves have sharp edges, don't break down or tenderize even after hours of cooking and can cause choking if swallowed.

Hope this information is helpful.

Lois

Thanks, Lois. I didn't think they were poisonous, but have always heard that they're indigestible. We used to joke because my mom would add it to something and not remove it, and 9 times out of 10, my sister would end up with it! Anyway, I can't remember what recipes I saw now that called for the bay leaf to be added, but not removed, but it was probably ground. Thanks for the info!