Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Lamb Burgers?

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Lamb Burgers?

by Kim H » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:28 pm

I plan on making lamb burgers on the grill on this gorgeous March afternoon, but I'm not sure what cut of meat I should get. I called Kroger, and they have ground lamb, but it 'comes in ground', so they don't know what cuts are in it. I could probably request them to ground some leg of lamb, but I'm also not sure if that would be the best cut for a lamb burger. I called Whole Foods, and they ground it themselves, which I like better, but again, it's a bit of a crap shoot. They said they use some combination of shoulder and leg, but were not more specific than that. I've never made lamb burgers before, nor have I eaten one, so this is a total experiment. A little insight would be much appreciated before I invest the time and money. TIA!!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Lamb Burgers?

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:10 pm

Kim H wrote:I plan on making lamb burgers on the grill on this gorgeous March afternoon

We love lamb burgers, Kim, and I use the ground lamb from Whole Foods often. No idea of the cuts, but if I were grinding my own, I'd probably use leg for leanness and convenience. You don't get much fat that way, so I'll often use some crumbs to lighten the mix and an egg or egg yolk to hold it together. If you want all-meat lamb burgers, you might prefer shoulder.

Here's an article I wrote on the topic a while back: Lamb burgers
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:52 pm

Thanks, Robin! I ended up making beef burgers out of convenience, but I plan to make lamb burgers in the future. We're going to mix in just a bit of fresh parsley, oregano. and garlic, cook them on our charcoal grill, top with homemade tzatziki, and serve in flatbread. We'll be out of town this weekend, so not sure when we'll do this, but I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks so much for the pointers and the link!
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:57 am

Speaking of lamb... When we lived in Rochester I bought lamb tenderloin on a regular basis. It was always available, already packaged, out there in the case with the burgers and chops. This was at Wegman's - voted the best super market chain in the US, and one of the few things I miss about Rochester.

I have asked at Burgers and at Whole Foods about lamb tenderloin. I was told they never have them. Does anyone know where I can get some? Marinated and grilled up rare they are a perfect summer food.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:30 pm

Ken Wilson wrote:Speaking of lamb... When we lived in Rochester I bought lamb tenderloin ... Marinated and grilled up rare they are a perfect summer food.

Or winter! That sounds wonderful!!! I want to know where you can get some as well! Have you asked Kingsley's?