Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Pork Belly

no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

Pork Belly

by Jeff T » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:27 pm

Is there anywhere around here one can buy pork belly or pork cheeks?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Pork Belly

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:33 pm

Jeff T wrote:Is there anywhere around here one can buy pork belly or pork cheeks?

Jeff, I've picked up sliced pork belly at the big Chinese market at the corner of Gilmore Lane and Preston, out front of Koreana II.
no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Louisville, KY

by Mark H. » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi, Jeff. I looked for months to find pork belly here in Louisville. Several folks said they would sell a box, about 70 lbs., but that is more than I can handle at once. I called the Ky Pork Producers Association and they said the nearest place was Boone's in Bardstown. It's a bit of a drive, but the place is a meat lovers dream. I bought 2 slabs of belly, about 7 lbs. each for $1.50 /lb. The bacon that I cured and smoked was wonderful. Boone's butchers on site, so they can provide any cut you want. We saw an older man carry out 3 fresh pig heads. You don't see that at Krogers. They also carry Morton's Tender Quick cure which I use to make buckboard bacon from butts and Canadian bacon from loins. It is well worth a day trip South to see this place. They also cure their own sausages. Try the beef summer sausage with pepperjack cheese, some of the best I've had. Their website is "boonesbutchershop.com".
Is that a raw fish in your pocket or are you just glad sashimi?
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks Mark
I am in Bardstown a couple of times a month on business. I will put them on my list!!