Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Green Pan

User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

Green Pan

by Jessica Devine » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:05 pm

I just saw a segment about a company called GreenPan (http://www.green-pan.com/dev/ae/) on the weather channel and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. The segment said that they have a 6-piece cookware set for $100 that will reduce my carbon footprint by 50%. I think I may have found that set (http://www.green-pan.com/dev/ae/html/lo ... inium.html), but I wanted to see if any of you know anything about this cookware.

Thanks!
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

Re: Green Pan

by Jeff T » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:19 pm

I have seen Chef Todd English push this set on QVC or HSN. I dont know a lot about it except for what you mentioned. It is supposed to be super non stick whever that is.
User

Bret Donaldson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:14 am

by Bret Donaldson » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:50 pm

I browsed the website, and was not impressed...I can't understand how they reduce your carbon footprint 50% (seeing as that they are made in Hong Kong, most likely using power from a coal-burning plant), have to be shipped to the states (cargo ship and/or aircraft), and still mean buying a new product.

As to their non-stick abilities, my cast iron skillets are incredibly non-stick (well seasoned), have been used extensively for many years (some of them for over 50, without need for replacement), are quite inexpensive, and conduct heat wonderfully, which reduces the amount of gas (or electricity) I have to use to heat them, and the food in them.

With GREEN being the buzzword it is, I'd be very leery of trendy "green" products. There's a plethora of ways to reduce your carbon footprint, but I would think you could do more environmental good by being aware of what you PUT in the pan versus what pan it goes into.
Bret Donaldson
Owner

Stellar Craft Catering &
Stellar Event Managament
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:37 am

I'm with Bret. I don't see how a cooking pan could possibly reduce your carbon footprint by 50%.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:17 am

Michelle R. wrote:I'm with Bret. I don't see how a cooking pan could possibly reduce your carbon footprint by 50%.

By burning 50% less food? :lol:
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie