Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Any Experience With Local CSA?

by Eliza W » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:12 pm

I'm contemplating joining a CSA, and I've found two: Misty Meadows and the Family Farm project. It looks like Misty Meadows has pick-up on Bardstown Rd., and Family Farm is downtown near Glassworks.

Does anyone have experience with either? Do you know about the quality of the produce, etc.?

Thanks,

Liz
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Eliza,

We did the CSA across from Glassworks for two years back when they were just getting started (and I worked at 2nd and Market). We were very happy with the quality /selection (field grown flowers and mint at derby were an additional nice touch). I believe they have expanded significantly since then. The only reason we stopped was that neither of us was working downtown anymore, and driving to pick-up turned into a major logistical problem.

As with all CSA's you will end up with a large quantity of things you might not normally buy - ie tons of kale and collards in spring - but personally I find that to be great challenge to find new recipes. Really liked the people!

Thanks for the reminder that it's that time of year again. We may re-subscribe as I'm now working downtown again (but I'll miss the farmer's market). If you have them, could you post the links for the two CSAs you are looking into?

Thanks,
Deb
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:17 am

We sell at alot of farmers markets, and can personally vouch for Misty Meadows. They are great people with great produce. I believe that you can do a pick up at the Mellios/Bodaga on Tuesdays, at the Pheonix Hill farmers market that sets up there.That farmers market doesnt officially open untill mid April, but I think they are bringing stuff out before then. You can get in touch with Misty Meadows thru mmfarm@bbtel.com.
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am

We did the Misty Meadows CSA last year but don't think we'll do it again this year. Ralph and Kathy are great but we were just overrun with with squash and a couple other items like that. I'm all for a challenge but the squash wore me down. The stuff we got from them was good but it wasn't as diverse as we would have liked it to be. So I think this year we're going to go back to just buying weekly at the Farmer's Market.

We did the pickup at the Bardstown Road farmer's market location on Thursday afternoons.
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:19 pm

I got my info here:

http://www.louisvillecsa.com/csa

Apparently, the CSA that drops off downtown also drops off in Middletown. Unfortunately, that location is actually further from my house.