Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Kitchen knives

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Kitchen knives

by Carla G » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:39 pm

After years of limping along on what were wedding presents from 40 years ago and hand me downs from my mom’s kitchen, I’ve decided to up my kitchen game and invest in a couple of really good knives. (Well, really good to me. I’m not venturing into the $700 range.)

I really like using a Nakiri and a Santoku but I know nothing about Japanese knife manufacturers. I’m looking at Miyabi and Yaxell or maybe a Ryusen. Does anyone have any experience with these brand or maybe some alternative brands, that they would care to share with me? Any suggestions?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Kitchen knives

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:06 am

Carla, I've been using my old Chicago Cutlery knives (from back when they were an excellent US-owned company - sadlly, not true any more) - since the 1970s, I've taken good care of them, and they still serve me well. So, no experience. But why not either go look at Cooking at the Cottage in the Vogue Center, or Heimerdinger's? Both trustworthy locally owned shops that can guide you well. Plus, you may get some really good advice here. :)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:27 am

Some of the knives I inherited were Chicago Cutlery and they are still great but looking to expand my collection, new CC just don’t compare to those. (Sigh) (Ran into the same problem when I wanted to invest in some new Revereware- simply nowhere near what their quality used to be.)
Because I’m bubbling with a family with a child born prematurely, I’m back to as much isolation as possible so doing all my shopping on line again. Ive been checking out Heimerdingers website but their Japanese knife selection isn’t that varied. Cooking at the Cottage (the store I’d really like to support and buy from) hasn’t fleshed out their on line shopping experience quite yet. Their web site assures that it’s on the way! I was hoping for some brand feedback from some one out there. Maybe?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:39 pm

I hope you get some, Carla! This little kitchen nook of the forum isn't too busy, but you never know who will drop by! :) I'm sorry for my lack of current perspective, but that 9-inch CC chef's knife, from back when they were real, is like an extension of my arm.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:52 pm

That’s the feeling I want to get back with my equipment. Some of my knives left after a divorce (ex hubby had been a carver at one time and all of our kitchen gear got jumbled up in the process). Some were just trashed by visiting family and friends. (No blame, we assume everything can go in the dishwasher.) I want to buy some generational equipment I can pass on to my daughter along with my cast iron skillets and cast iron Dutch oven.
Half the fun is the looking I guess.