Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Question re: fish tonight

no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Cherokee Triangle

Question re: fish tonight

by NicoleC » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:10 pm

I bought tilapia at Whole Foods on Friday. It's ok to cook it tonight (Monday), isn't it? It smells fine.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Question re: fish tonight

by Doogy R » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:17 pm

NicoleC wrote:I bought tilapia at Whole Foods on Friday. It's ok to cook it tonight (Monday), isn't it? It smells fine.

If it meets the nose test, I'd say go for it.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:34 pm

NicoleC wrote:I bought tilapia at Whole Foods on Friday. It's ok to cook it tonight (Monday), isn't it? It smells fine.

Nicole, the nose test is as good as any! Keeping fresh fish sitting on ice is best, but as long as it's cold and doesn't smell funky, it'll be fine.

If I were doing it, I might give it a good rinse and maybe rub it all over with lemon before cooking, but that's mostly just magical thinking. Maybe also come up with some recipe with flavorful sauces or accompaniments, just to be on the extra-safe side. But I'm sure it'll be fine.
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Cherokee Triangle

by NicoleC » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Nicole, the nose test is as good as any! Keeping fresh fish sitting on ice is best, but as long as it's cold and doesn't smell funky, it'll be fine.

If I were doing it, I might give it a good rinse and maybe rub it all over with lemon before cooking, but that's mostly just magical thinking. Maybe also come up with some recipe with flavorful sauces or accompaniments, just to be on the extra-safe side. But I'm sure it'll be fine.

Great suggestions! Thanks!

I was planning to crust it with Pecan and cayenne and serve it along side my leftover Vanilla Bean and Butternut squash risotto. Probably not the best combo, but it's what I have on hand and I hate to waste food.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:45 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
NicoleC wrote:If I were doing it, I might give it a good rinse and maybe rub it all over with lemon before cooking, but that's mostly just magical thinking.

Robin,

That magical thinking sounds like something I might think of... :wink: But of course, neither washing the fish or rubbing lemon juice on it will remove any actual bacteria or food spoilage. Neither will burying it in sauce. My old personal favorite prior to going thru health services training- freezing it to kill the bacteria, doesn't work either, it only slows, not kills the bacteria growth (who'd a thunk it?)

With that said, the nose and feeling ( not slimy) tests are definitely the best approach and assuming it's been kept cold and she got it from a place that moves fish, I'd also bet that fish is still just fine.

Deb