Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Safe, EFFECTIVE oven cleaner?

by Kim H » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:30 am

My old old oven has been severely neglected by my husband, and is in dire need of a deep clean, and I need your all's help.

Well, oooo-kaay, it was me. But part of my neglect is because the last time I cleaned it thoroughly, I used Easy-Off. While it worked very well, the fumes and what must be horrible toxins scared me off. Re-name it Scared-Off. I've seen 'recipes' for a more natural cleaner using things such as baking soda, white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, dawn, etc... Idk... I like the idea of something more natural, but I need heavy-duty. My oven is electric (not my first choice, but had the stove-top converted to gas), old, and in desperate need of a deep clean so I can once again use it at high temperatures without fear of a visit from the local fire department. I'm not opposed to the diy version, but am looking for feedback on either that option (is it effective on tough situations?), and/or is there a product out there you'd recommend? I sure would appreciate this group's input! TIA
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Safe, EFFECTIVE oven cleaner?

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:07 am

Kim, we've had self-cleaning as far back as I can remember, so I'm not much help. I'm watching, though, in the good-to-know department.

Waiting for a good answer here, I wonder if some organics-heavy shop like Rainbow Blossom or Whole Foods would have an alternative product? Or check with a good local hardware store like Oscar's on Frankfort or Brownsboro Hardware? Those guys know everything ...
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:03 am

Good thought on contacting those hardware stores, Robin! I'll check with them this morning. Thx! :)
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:22 pm

Easy Off is Lye which is basically Sodium Hydroxide a strong base, it is inorganic .. it works by saponifying the grease and organic material in the oven crud and this makes that material into a soap, which is water soluble. You can try other stuff, but it won't really work as well as Easy Off. ( Saponification: The process in which a triacylglyceride is reacted with aqueous hydroxide ion to form a mixture of glycerol and fatty acid salts (soap))
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Thanks, Gary! I know Easy Off works well, I've used it before. But the fumes are a bit much for me and kind of scare me. I saw they have a fume-free version, but then I wonder if it works as well.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:24 am

Yeah the fumes will take your breathe away .. Easy Off Fume Free has a organic degreaser (2-(2-butoxyethoxy)ethanol) in it, some solvents to dissolve grease and limolene to make it smell limey.. Here's the MSDS on it ... scroll down for list of ingredients ..

https://www.kandelandson.com/site/image ... leaner.pdf

I'm going with the lye instead, inorganic and it works better.
Probably can't hurt to try the fume free stuff, that degreaser is same stuff they put in Krudcutter and a bunch of other Cleaners.