Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Marinating Fish In Coconut Milk

by Ray Griffith » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:49 pm

My plan was just to marinate these halibut filets for a couple of hours in coconut milk per a recipe. Anyway, cooking dinner fell through for tonight. Does anyone see a problem with keeping them in the coconut milk until tomorrow night? -Or- Should I take ‘em out, rinse them, wrap and refrigerate?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Marinating Fish In Coconut Milk

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:26 am

jRay, I can't speak from experience, but I'd be reluctant to leave them in coconut milk or any marinade overnight. I'd fear the fillets turning mushy. I think your alternate plan sounds wiser. Good luck either way! Let us know how it goes.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:02 pm

Robin,

It turned out that I didn’t see your reply (thank you, btw) until this morning. I thought that if there was any damage, it was too late. So, i just left it in the coconut milk until about an hour before putting them in the oven. Anyway, it actually stayed firm and turned out fine. Perhaps this wouldn’t be the case with something lighter and flakier like a cod or even sea bass.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:16 pm

That's good to know, Ray. I appreciate you following up, and your voice of actual real-world experience. :)