Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Spatzle

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Spatzle

by Kim H » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:45 pm

Where can I find good spatzle to use at home? I know I asked this question before, and got an answer I was pretty happy with about a brand at Lotsa Pasta, but I can't find the post anywhere. Suggestions? I don't want to make my own.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Spatzle

by Joni L » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi!

Meijer sells a really great dried spatzle made by the German company Bechtle. There are a few different varieties, but I like the thick, not-too-pretty traditional version. I grew up with German grandparents, and it's as good as my Oma made. I have seen it at Kroger occasionally, but it's not consistent.

So I have to ask - what are you going to do with it?

Cheers!
Joni
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:59 am

Thank you, Joni! I saw that brand online and was going to order it, but I'd have to buy way more than I need and that also made it pricy. I was planning on checking out Meijer today or tomorrow because they showed a different brand, but if I could get this one, esp since it has your endorsement, that would be great! I wonder if it depends on which Meijer? We shop the Springhusrt one. And when you say traditional, do you mean the little teardrop noodles? That's what I'd prefer.

I'm just using it as a side to an attempt at pork scnitzel (never made it before), and my German red cabbage (which I've made many times). Was going to cook them, then toss them in butter or brown butter and little parsley. Do you have any suggestions? Seems like this is how they're prepared at Mader's in Milwaukee. Also, do you have a recipe for schnitzel you'd be willing to share? My biggest debate is deciding on regular bread crumbs, panko, or a combination.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know if I find them! :-)
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:47 pm

We found it at Meijer!!! I probably won't make this meal until later this week, but I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for your help! :-)