Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

weird eats

no avatar
User

Beth D

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:54 pm

By the Downs

weird eats

by Beth D » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:06 pm

What are the strangest food combinations that you put together in your home kitchen? For example:
I grew up on triple decker miracle whip sandwiches. No matter how hard she tried, my mother could not get me to add anything else, not even lettuce. I tried to gross out a friend by serving him peanut butter, dill pickle, and braunschwager sandwiches. We both ended up loving them. A late night version in adulthood is peanut butter and pickle on a bagel. A boyfriend used to mix a can of chicken noodle soup with a can of creamed corn. He then covered the whole thing with about one sleeve of crunched up saltines. My favorite comfort food that I learned from my mom is made by crunching up a bunch of saltines in a glass, pouring in cold milk--eat with a spoon. I have never met anyone else who has done this (though I don't quiz everyone I meet!)
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Cherokee Triangle

by NicoleC » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:47 pm

I can't believe that I'm admitting this...

Corn on the cob slathered with Hellman's mayo.
User

Lori Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:49 pm

by Lori Cundiff » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:28 pm

It wasn't until probably high school that I realized not everyone eats peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. They have to be super-sweet pickles, though!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:51 pm

My mother did the cracker thing.
My favorite teenage sandwich (and part of the reason I topped out at 350 at 19)
Toast w/peanut butter mixed with worchestershire topped with pickled mushrooms and cashews.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:00 am

My mom, who was born in 1916, did the cracker thing too as did many people in the great depression.
I have to wonder Gary, how did you EVER come up with your "special" peanut butter sandwich? :shock:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:20 pm

My dad does the cracker thing, as well. He also crunches up cornbread in a glass of milk and eats it with a spoon. He also eats sorghum molasses and mayo by the spoonful. It grosses me out!

As a kid, he used to make us this "lovely" dessert....he'd open and drain a can of pears, put mayo on them, and sprinkle them with cheese. UGH! It was a terrible combination. Mushy canned pears, coated in greasy mayo, sprinkled with grainy cheese. Yuck. I get nauseous just thinking about it!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:23 pm

carla griffin wrote:I have to wonder Gary, how did you EVER come up with your "special" peanut butter sandwich? :shock:

My father was in charge of restaurants in large hotels and was often sent boxes and boxes of products to try, so we had a very odd, plentiful pantry. My feeling then was anything better with peanut butter.
Oh- and I was evidently insane.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:47 pm

I can ALMOST understand the sandwich, as peanut butter does lend itself well to both sweet and savory flavors. A perfect example would be cold sesame noodles.

I would probably never eat the sandwich, but to each, his own!
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

by Scott Schamel » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:05 am

My mother in law likes the crackers in milk dish.

One of my wife's unique sandwiches is mashed potatoes, mustard, and tomato. Sorry, but you won't see this on any of my menus.... :lol:
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:30 am

I'm glad someone said mashed potato!

My mom loves cornbread and milk.

MissChele
Last edited by Michele Cull on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissChele
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:32 am

There's no accounting for taste, I guess. I'm one to talk....when I was a kid, I used to put butter on bread, and then put ketchup on it. At the time, I thought it was great (plus it grossed out my mom, which was a huge bonus). Now, I think it's disgusting, and wonder how I ate it!
no avatar
User

Al Musinski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

by Al Musinski » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:57 am

I use to take a whole large garlic dill pickle and cut a wedge length ways out of it. Then I would fill it with onions, ketchup, mustard and snack away.I still love em.Taste like a meatless white castle without the heart burn.
I always think better with a full stomach.
no avatar
User

Nancy Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:37 am

The Country

by Nancy Inman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:52 am

So glad to see this as a reminder of the peanut butter and pickles on crackers, but I used dill chips.
Nancy Inman
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:47 am

I grew up putting ketchup on tuna noodle casserole. I still kie it like that but I try to be grown up and forego the ketchup. My dad was the one who started that one. He also taught us to eat jam/jelly on grilled cheese sandwiches. To this day, it is not the same without homemade strawberry jam. My oldest son likes it like this too. Last one comes from my mom -- she used to put ketchup on cottage cheese. I used to eat it like that once in awhile but now I can't stand the thought of it.

My husband and his dad do the cornbread and milk (or buttermilk).
Rebecca Phillips Webb
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:37 am

Both my family and my wife's family eat cornbread in milk. You want to get an arguement started quickly: Cornbread muffins or sticks and sweet versus dry.

My Mom would make us fried grits with maple syrup. I still do that combo on rare occaisions.
Next