Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Asparagus-cilantro pesto with walnuts

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:47 am

Yeah, I know, cilantro is the herb that people love to hate. In this recipe its flavor gets lost, though, surviving as a taste-tempting lemony tang that also alters the asparagus beyond recognition, turning the combination into something completely new and different. I made this a few years ago but couldn't find the recipe, so I did it again from memory yesterday and am posting this time. :)

Asparagus-cilantro-pesto.jpg
Asparagus-cilantro pesto with walnuts
Asparagus-cilantro-pesto.jpg (75.5 KiB) Viewed 3933 times

Take a bunch of fresh asparagus and snap off the bottoms, cut off and set aside the tops. Cut the spears into one-inch lengths and simmer them in salted water just until they are tender. Drain, reserving a little of the cooking water, and then put the cooked pieces into the Cuisinart.

Then add a bunch of fresh cilantro and maybe 1/2 cup of walnuts to the processor with maybe 1/4 cup of grated Parmigiano Reggiano. A smashed garlic clove or two (I like to temper it by heating, not browning, in a little oil); kosher salt, tellicherry pepper, a few tablespoons of good, fruity olive oil, then buzz until it’s a puree, but with plenty of texture remaining. If it’s too thick, stir in a little leftover asparagus water until it’s about the consistency of mashed potatoes.

Meanwhile cook linguine, farfalle or your choice of pasta while simmering the asparagus tips until crisp-tender. Drain and portion the pasta, top with a scoop of the pesto, and garnish with asparagus tips, simmered separately until just crisp-tender.