Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Cherokee Triangle

Cookware - need advice-UPDATE

by NicoleC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:33 pm

I am looking into buying new cookware. I primarily need a skillet (maybe both 8 and 10 inch), a stock pot, a pasta insert, 2ish qt saucepan and a 6 quart pot w/ lid. I've been researching various brands (low end is Sur La Table's line, middle is All Clad MC2 and highest end is Mauviel (however, I would probably only buy 2 or 3 pieces if I bought Mauviel) I have read about Dr. Weil's line and am intrigued by it as well. I can get a very complete set of that for around $599 -- I haven't looked at it in person.
Also, I want a skillet that keeps that nice "slip" without being non-stick (think eggs over easy).

Any advice? I am a relatively serious home cook, but that is it.
Any thoughts/suggestions? Any restaurant supply stores that I should look into for open stock no-name items? Am I insane and should just buy a $199 set at Target or some Martha Stewart from Macy's?

These are some of the things that I've being looking at:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/collections/
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/i ... ryID=33968
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=480&f=14618

$600 is the most I would spend and the lower end I've seen is around $299.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice that you are willing to give.
Last edited by NicoleC on Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:24 pm

Buy Calphanon. They are great, non-stick anodized aluminum, that is easy to clean, durable, and visually appealing. That's my two cents.
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Cherokee Triangle

by NicoleC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:30 pm

Thanks! I had a set of Caphalon from our wedding (10 yrs ago) -- the non-stick surfaces scratched and I'm concerned about non-stick cookware now. That's the only reason that I didn't consider Caphalon. Our set only lasted about 7 years.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:45 pm

Nicole,

You may want to look at the (I almost hate to say it) "WolfGang Puck" line of clad pans. They are available thru Macy's and probably others. Usually I would never seriously consider a department store celebrity line for "good pans" , but my understanding is they are made by AllClad, not quite the same weight, but much cheaper. We bought a small set of them for our cooking classes and all the chefs liked them: I personally love my 12" covered saute. I use Calphalon non-stick for big stock and pasta pots, but for what you are describing this might.

Also, check Fine Cooking and Cook's Illustrated magazines: they regularly run tests of various pans/skillets.

Deb
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:02 pm

The Dine Company on Preston sells to the food service industry. However they welcome walk ins from the public.

Also TJ MAXX on Taylorsville Rd at Hikes Point often has excellent prices on good cookware. Being a close out store, the selection varies, but the prices are great.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:33 pm

I second Deb's recommendation (and with the same sort of "please don't shoot me" sensibility). I bought a set 5 years ago from hsn, and they still run regular deals on them (better prices and slightly better quality than the same line at Sam's Club), including paying for them over something like three months. I've added to the set I bought since then, and I keep going back to them.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:05 am

You may want to check out Ebay. I sold a number of Mauviel items on Ebay a few months back. They sold for about half of retail and were in almost new condition. It was strange I bought a huge lot of them from a farm auction, nobody there could believe that I would want to use such "heavy" pans, I got quite a deal.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:19 am

NicoleC wrote:Thanks! I had a set of Caphalon from our wedding (10 yrs ago) -- the non-stick surfaces scratched and I'm concerned about non-stick cookware now. That's the only reason that I didn't consider Caphalon. Our set only lasted about 7 years.

I had the same experience with Calphalon One. I have never tried the non-stick variety. The sauce pans went into the recycle bin years ago.
Last edited by David R. Pierce on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Cherokee Triangle

by NicoleC » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:19 pm

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! When I was looking into the WP set, I noticed some reviews for Tramontina's higher-end line -- The Tri-ply clad, which seems very similar to All-Clad. (As a side note, if anyone is looking for a deal on a huge WP set, they are one clearance here:
Wolfgang Puck 18-piece Cookware Set

Upon further research, one reviewer mentioned that you could get the higher end Tramontina set online from WalMart for over $100 less than she'd seen anywhere else.

Sure enough, sure was right! It didn't have the pasta pot, so I ordered that separately, since they were so affordable. If I'm not happy when they show up, I can just take them back to the store. I'll keep you posted on how I like them.
Here is the set. I got them for $136.
http://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-Tri-pl ... B000LMJLWA

ETA: Since the Tramontina Enameled Dutch Oven received accolades in the most recent Cooks Illustrated, I wanted to pick one up at WalMart, too, but they were sold out right now. (My Martha Stewart one cracked and I don't want to spend the $ on a Le Crueset.)
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:41 pm

We've had problems from our calphalon non-stick as well, and they are only just over two years old. I like them in general, I've just fallen completely out of love with non-stick pans. The next skillet we get is likely to still be Calphalon, but will instead be from the Calphalon One Infused Anodized line, which is stick resistant.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:25 pm

Aaron Newton wrote:We've had problems from our calphalon non-stick as well, and they are only just over two years old. I like them in general, I've just fallen completely out of love with non-stick pans. The next skillet we get is likely to still be Calphalon, but will instead be from the Calphalon One Infused Anodized line, which is stick resistant.

I absolutely agree- I really wish I had bought the anodized line too. I do like the feel of the Calphalon better than most other manufacturers I tried.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Cookware.

by Doogy R » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:56 am

I know this will seem stupid and old fashioned, but my mom passed down some Revere Ware and I am using it to this very day. She told me she received her set in the 50's as a wedding gift. It does have some wear and tear but is intact and I can cook the shit out of anything in it. So, what do you say? All you folks paying those big dollars. Is the new stuff really better than the old stuff? Oh, and I have 2 old cast iron skillets. That's the real way to cook, y'all hear.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Steve Shade wrote:The Dine Company on Preston sells to the food service industry. However they welcome walk ins from the public.

Also TJ MAXX on Taylorsville Rd at Hikes Point often has excellent prices on good cookware. Being a close out store, the selection varies, but the prices are great.

I second Dine. We have gotten several excellent deals there, and their prices are really hard to beat.

If you check in the "used" section in the back, sometimes you'll get lucky. We got a really nice Calphalon non-stick skillet, that was practically brand new for $5.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:38 pm

My previous comment on Calphalon still stands, you have to, as with all non-stick cookware, take care of them by not using metal utensils, harsh detergents, or scrubbers. I have had a set that I use in my kitchen at work and have used them for 8 years now at every place I work. All my dishwashers love them, because they know not to scrub them, nor do they ever need to. On the other hand, their bakeware line is total crap in my opinion. The non-stick flakes off in high tempuratures on their baking sheets.

I second Steve's idea of TJ Maxx or Dine Company, I once got a sterling silver plated chafer at TJ Maxx for $100 when they are normally $600. It had a scratch on the indentation where you put the sterno where no one sees it.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:50 pm

I had a set of revere ware a million years ago from the same era. My mother gave me hers when I went away to college, and I used them for years not thinking twice about the quality because that's pretty much all there was for the general consumer.

Sure, you can cook in just about anything, even a hole in the ground, or heck just buy a cheap grill and set it out on your back porch. But for me, once I decided to invest a little more in better cookware, I was surprised by how much better the stuff really was and how much easier to cook with. I didn't spend a fortune, and I was able to buy the stuff over three months. That was about 6 years ago, and it's one of the best things I've ever done for my kitchen and cooking. I figure if it's my money and I have it to spend, and if something is demonstrably better, then why not.

I went back to the hsn site on the heels of this discussion to look at what they have now and was surprised by some of the customer reviews until I realized it meant they didn't know what they were doing and had become so used to non-stick cooking they didn't know anything else. I've never really understood the aversion we all have to cleaning a thing. And if you use the stuff correctly, generally it's as easy to clean as non-stick anyway. And one woman said she was so disappointed she wanted to send the stuff back because once she'd used it it didn't look the same as when she pulled it out of the box. It wasn't pretty anymore, which made me laugh. If you want your cookware to look pretty, hang it up and leave it there and cook with something else.
Next