Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:45 pm

Unless you are really hell-bent on having a matching set (which I know is really important to some people) I second the rec for TJ Maxx. I've seen Le Creuset and All Clad there before for dirt cheap. Unbelievably cheap. So cheap you will start a new thread to tell us how cheap you found them!
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Rick Boman wrote:My previous comment on Calphalon still stands, you have to, as with all non-stick cookware, take care of them by not using metal utensils, harsh detergents, or scrubbers. I have had a set that I use in my kitchen at work and have used them for 8 years now at every place I work. All my dishwashers love them, because they know not to scrub them, nor do they ever need to. On the other hand, their bakeware line is total crap in my opinion. The non-stick flakes off in high tempuratures on their baking sheets.

I respect that, but please understand we've been very careful with ours. No metal utensils, and the only scrubbing that's done on them is with a nylon bristled brush, and no detergent harsher than regular dish soap in the sink. Most of our pans are fine, but one of the 10" omelets is flaking and dimpling.
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:25 pm

Well just like anything, sometimes there is a quality control issue where they are manufactured. One person can get the exact same thing, one will work great and one will be sub-standard. I wasn't implying you don't take care of it, but I have seen people abuse cookware. Then complain about it not performing up to par. I guess if you cooked anything with a high sugar content and caramelized it, that may do that type of damage. Not saying you did, you could just have a flaw in workmanship.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:33 pm

A dear friend came to visit a couple of years ago and wanted to make omelets. She was concerned about my cookware because she was used to making omelets in a non-stick pan (and anyway she rarely actually cooks anything). So I left her alone in the kitchen because she wanted so badly to make me something and then was mortified by the result. She'd poured the beaten eggs into a cold stainless steel Wolfgang Puck pan, the pan I'd pointed her to for making an omelet. She couldn't believe I actually used that pan for omelets all the time with no trouble at all. No sticking, no mess. Another friend years before tried that with my cast iron pan and did exactly the same thing, only he took a fork to it to try to clean it. Talk about a mess.
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:21 am

If the Tramontina doesn't meet your expectations I would recommend you consider vintage cast iron cookware. While I've used several high end brands (All-Clad, Falk, etc.), I always revert to my Griswold pieces. I prefer the finer surface of vintage C.I. vs. newer manufactured stuff.
All items you've listed are available with exception of a stock pot w/ a pasta insert. Griswold made pots large enough to be considered stock pots but they're rare and $$$. A #10 Dutch oven is one of the most versatile items I own. Serves up every thing from soups, meats, vegetables and casseroles to dessert.
While it's very easy to purchase modern cookware, I find the "hunt" for vintage C.I. to be fairly easy these days. Ebay has 600+ Griswold items on auction today with Wagner approaching 300 items. Besides, with proper care cast iron can be passed to several generations of cooks.
Hope this helps.........
Tom
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Cherokee Triangle

cookware - need advice - UPDATE

by NicoleC » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:28 am

Thanks for everyone's input! While I was waiting for the Tramontina cookware to arrive at the local Walmart, I found an online 8 piece set of Calphalon Tri-Ply Copper for $299 w/ free shipping -- this is the set:

I already have a 12 inch skillet and a 6.5 enamel cast iron dutch oven (plus various passed down cast iron pans), so this set takes care of most of what I needed. I plan to keep the Tramontina pasta/stock pot when it comes in.

I must say that I am VERY happy with the Calphalon copper. They are well constructed and heat and cool very quickly. So far I've made eggs over easy, Butternut squash risotto, Chicken vegetable stew, Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe and Crab Cakes. The pans clean very easily (even the copper cleans beautifully with a little Bar Keepers Friend).

I feel like a got excellent quality pans for a lot less than All Clad, etc.

As an aside, I picked up the 6.5 qt Tramontina enamel cast iron dutch oven at Target ($50) and have been very happy with that. I made Saffron Rissoto, a batch of Bolognese and some stock and it's been great. I am going to try the infamous no-knead bread recipe soon.

Again, thanks for all of the input and I will post if my opinion changes.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Nicole,

A couple of years ago...When Macy's was taking over Marshall Fields...we came across a closeout "deal" on a set of Calphlon One cookwear (NOT the non-stick). The stuff was something like 75% off, so even though we weren't in the market for new cookwear we couldn't pass it up. The short version is that I don't know if this is the best cook wear going but I DO know that it is all the cookwear we need. It is durable, heats evenly and is virually bulletproof. If it becomes stained, a little light cleaning with baking soda cleans it right up. Calphlon One gets our vote.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

SusanLukjan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 09, 2007 12:45 pm

291 N. Hubbards Ln (next to Kroger)

Cookware

by SusanLukjan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:31 pm

We at Campbell's Gourmet Cottage let our customer's try before they buy. They can check out used and abused pieces from our cooking classes, I will give them tips on how to compare apples to apples, they can use it for a few days and then make their decision.
Check Our Our Latest Cooking Class Schedule!!
Campbell's Gourmet Cottage
291 N. Hubbards Ln
893-6700
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Cherokee Triangle

Re: Cookware

by NicoleC » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:48 am

SusanLukjan wrote:We at Campbell's Gourmet Cottage let our customer's try before they buy. They can check out used and abused pieces from our cooking classes, I will give them tips on how to compare apples to apples, they can use it for a few days and then make their decision.

I was actually in your store on two separate occasions and talked extensively with someone about cookware and that option wasn't mentioned to me on either occasion. I don't mean this in a negative way (I am just being honest -- I really like your store), but I got the sense that I wasn't considered a "serious buyer" -- granted, I was in "mom gear" and not very cleaned up, but that was definitely the feeling I got. I did end up buying some utensils and other accessories and kind of got the brush-off at the register when I asked some additional cookware questions. The store wasn't busy at the time -- there was only one other customer.
no avatar
User

SusanLukjan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 09, 2007 12:45 pm

291 N. Hubbards Ln (next to Kroger)

Re: Cookware - need advice-UPDATE

by SusanLukjan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:20 pm

I am VERY sorry to hear that. I would like to talk to you about it if you want. Please call me at the store. If you meet me, you will know that "mom gear" is totally acceptable :) . I do have to admit that I probably offer that to more people when they seem serious than if they are just casually looking. Some people just want to look and not hear the whole "sales pitch". I will make sure all my ladies feel comfortable with the program and it is offered more often. Again, please give me a call at the store 893-6700.
Check Our Our Latest Cooking Class Schedule!!
Campbell's Gourmet Cottage
291 N. Hubbards Ln
893-6700
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Re: Cookware - need advice-UPDATE

by carla griffin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:51 pm

Back when I set out to buy my own cookware (after tiring of using hand me downs) I had my heart set on some copper bottomed Revereware just like my moms. She had gotten hers in the 50s as well. I loved the way it cooked and cleaned. The 1980s line wasn't near as sturdy. They really cheapened up the line. I wound up getting the Shillitos store brand which was Belgique solid stainless. It's been fabulous! Heavy duty stuff and after 20 some-odd years it still looks great and I abuse the heck out of it. I don't know if they still make it or not. Maybe as a Macy's brand. Don't forget that Tuesday Morning always has some great deals on cooking stuff as well.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
Previous