Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Great find at Highland Fish

no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

Great find at Highland Fish

by Joni L » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi all!

I used to think I didn't like oysters. Until I was in New Orleans for spring break this year. I tried my first FRESH chargrilled oyster and fell in love. I realized that the oysters that I had in Louisville were either the ones in the plastic cup thingie from Kroger or rolled oysters (read fishy-tasting balls of bread - I know that's a sin to say in Louisville, but I'm putting it out there). So, I was craving chargrilled oysters and we brought some very fresh ones home on ice from a recent visit to South Carolina. My brother and boyfriend really struggled with shucking, as they had never done it (see - I cleverly hid behind side dishes at the stove and made them shuck). They acted mad at me until dinner was served.

So, I just went by way of Texas to tell you that Mike at Middletown HF (who is a wealth of knowledge - he really knows his product), turned me on to frozen oysters on the half-shell. They're northeastern oysters that are harvested, frozen, then shucked. The frozen oysters (with the liquor - that's key) are shrink-wrapped and shipped. They are gorgeous and very meaty. At $1.65 per oyster and no shuckin'? Count me in!

Chargrilled oysters - just in case: fresh garlic and butter, grated parm and grated Romano. Not too much topping so you can taste all the deliciousness. Put on a hot grill and cook just till the edges start to curl. Use French bread to sop up the juices. Thank me later.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Great find at Highland Fish

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks for the report, Joni! :)
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Joni Lemke wrote:...Until I was in New Orleans...

Where did you have the chargrilled oysters, there, Joni? Drago's had a very good version. I think they call them "charbroiled" - same thing.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:01 am

Jay, I think you're right that "charbroiled" is the proper term. My first were indeed from Drago's at a booth at a French Quarter festival and I was hooked. After that, any time they were on the menu I ordered them!

But funny, the best that I had were at a bar/restaurant called Shaggy's in Gulfport MS. It was a happy accident - we took the kids to visit the ocean and happened upon Shaggy's. The kids are older so they went off and wandered the beach and my BF and I went to Shaggy's for a beer. I ordered their oysters and the order took a while and our waitress apologized for the wait and said that they had just come in and they were shucking them! Um - literally just harvested - yes please! They were amazing!

It was a really great vacation... ahhh...