Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Recipe: Seared Scallops on Shrimp and Truffle Risotto

by Jay M. » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:58 pm

Deb's recipe for the Roasted Garlic and Wild Mushroom risotto got me in a risotto mood and I remembered this recipe. I've made this a few times and it is also very good. It's from a past issue of Bon Appetit and attributed to Alan Wong of Alan Wong’s restaurant in Honolulu.

Seared Scallops on Shrimp and Truffle Risotto
(reportedly 6 appetizer portions; however, we used it as 2 entrée portions)

3 eight-ounce bottles clam juice
1 cup low salt chicken broth
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined, diced
¼ cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove minced
1 cup arborio rice
¼ cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
6 large sea scallops
Truffle oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Bring clam juice and chicken broth to simmer in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low; cover to keep warm. Heat olive oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add shrimp; sauté 1 minute. Transfer shrimp to bowl and add onion to pan; sauté until translucent, about 1 minute. Add garlic; sauté 15 seconds. Add rice; stir 1 minute. Add wine; simmer until absorbed, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup clam juice mixture to rice; simmer until liquid absorbed, stirring often. Continue adding liquid 1 cup at a time and stirring often, allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding next, until rice is tender but still firm to bite, about 20 minutes. Stir in butter and shrimp. Season with S&P.

Heat vegetable oil in heavy medium skillet over high heat. Sear scallops until golden brown and just opaque in center, about 1 minute per side. Divide risotto among 6 plates (as I said we made as 2 entrée portion). Place 1 scallop atop risotto on each plate, drizzle lightly with truffle oil, sprinkle with chives and serve.

We served with roasted aparagus
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:46 pm

Jay,

Sounds incredible! (and I have all of the ingredients) Question: Brian's not a fan of scallops. What do you think of using shrimp or maybe sea bass for the Seared portion in lieu of the scallops?

Deb
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:55 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Jay,
Sounds incredible! (and I have all of the ingredients) Question: Brian's not a fan of scallops. What do you think of using shrimp or maybe sea bass for the Seared portion in lieu of the scallops?

Deb

Why not? I almost always adapt recipes to meet my personal preference.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:24 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Question: Brian's not a fan of scallops. What do you think of using shrimp or maybe sea bass for the Seared portion in lieu of the scallops?

Absolutely, Deb. I would go for the shrimp, but I'm sure it would work well with either one. :)