Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Strawberry preserves

no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

Strawberry preserves

by Lora S » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Long story short, my hubby has survived throat and lung cancer but is fighting to put weight on. He has dry mouth issues because of radiation and chemo zapping his saliva glands. One thing that helps is a good ol' peanut butter and jelly sandwich with strawberry jam or preserves. My wonderful 70 + year old mom has tried to keep up with jam or jelly production but is dealing with other family members health issues and has not had a chance to make a batch this year.

Smuckers doesn't cut it. Where can I find a great local made product? Most of the farmer's markets are either out or don't have a jam person. Bonus if in Southern Indiana, but I work in the Audubon/Poplar Level Rd area- Any suggestions? Making my own is not an option due to limited kitchen and storage space for all of the paraphernalia.

Thanks for any help!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Strawberry preserves

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Lora, welcome to the forum, and best wishes to your husband.

First, since you mentioned Southern Indiana, I wonder if you could find something good at the Huber Farm and Winery? Look at this page from their website:
http://www.huberwinery.com/farm-market/ ... jam-gifts/

Also, perhaps some of the farmers at the various farmers' markets around the city might have something good. Have you been to the big farmers' market in New Albany?

"The Farmers Market summer hours began on May 13th and will go through October. The hours are Saturday from 8 am to 12:30 pm. Beginning mid-June through August, we will also be open on Wednesdays from 3:30 to 6:30 pm at City Square, and at Baptist Floyd Hospital on Tuesday from 11 am to 1 pm, and at the WIC office behind the hospital on Thursday from 3 to 6 pm.
http://newalbanyfarmersmarket.com/
The market is located at 202 E. Market Street in downtown New Albany, Indiana."
User

jane.thunderburker

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:19 am

Re: Strawberry preserves

by jane.thunderburker » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:21 am

Local markets is probably the best option. You can search something there or the may arrange something special for you may be