Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Joe Z's Pizza

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Joe Z's Pizza

by Carla G » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:39 pm

Used to be in Hikes Point years ago, about where the White Castle is now. They served their spaghetti and meat balls to go in, what looked like, aluminum lined cardboard boxes.
Anyway, their sauce was fantastic and not of the usual basil, oregano variety. There was an additional herb that made it all unique. I haven't been able to identify it. If anyone else remembers their sauce, it's flavor, and has Any suggestion as to what made it I would love your input.
Thanks!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

connie.clay

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:51 am

Re: Joe Z's Pizza

by connie.clay » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:58 am

My late mom used to work at Joe-Z's. There were 2 locations. One on Hikes Lane and one on Hunsinger Lane. My mom worked at the one on Hunsinger. That place had the absolute best pizza I have ever tasted and I have never been able to find any place that can compare. I'm not sure if I ever had their spaghetti and meatballs, but they also had a roast beef sandwich made on garlic bread that had a sauce that was out of this world. My dad couldn't get enough of them. It was a sad day when those restaurants closed down. Would give anything to be able to taste that pizza again.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:30 am

Yes! I had forgotten about those roast beef sandwiches! Delicious! Did your mom share any recipes by any chance? ;-)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:59 am

It was a different age, that's for sure! Joe Z's was a little off our beaten path, but as a teen, I haunted Calandrino's and Highland Italian (later Lentini's) on Bardstown and Mario's in St. Matthews. In memory, at least, that wonderful taste would be hard to equal now. :)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:15 am

Mario’s had a location in Beuchal right next to the railroad tracks. They made their salads fresh from scratch not from industrial bags as I remember. And they made their own blue cheese dressing too.