Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Beef pot roast recipe

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Beef pot roast recipe

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:15 pm

Can't let this section stay vacant! Here's my weekly "30 Second Wine Advisor FoodLetter" recipe from yesterday:

<b>Beef pot roast</b>
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Lentil salad.

by Doogy R » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:34 pm

That recipe sounds so yummy. I printed it off and am gonna make it soon.

Here's one I have for a nice cold bean salad.

Lentil Salad

1 cup dry lentils
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped red onion
2 TB chopped fresh mint (optional)
6 TB olive oil
6 TB balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pkg (8 oz.) crumbled feta cheese (fat free if you prefer)

Place lentils in saucepan. Pour enough water into pan to cover lentils by 2 inches. Cook on medium heat 30 minutes or until tender. Drain. Transfer to a bowl. Add red pepper, onion, and mint. Mix oil, vinegar and garlic. Pour over lentil mixture; mix lightly.

Toss with cheese.....I just throw it all together right from the beginning. The longer it all sits together, the better it is!!!
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:48 pm

Great recipe Robin. I added some baby portobellos.

With all the chuck and shoulder roasts that come with a side of beef your recipe is definitely a winner in my regular lineup.

Thanks,

David O.
David O.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

another option

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:17 am

Lately, I've been experimenting with Asian ingredients, using several you mentioned, but I find that a tablespoon (or two) of black bean garlic sauce (and possibly some 5-spice powder, and definitely some ginger) adds another dimension. You may or may not like it, but interesting.

Also, for the cooking liquid my normal "secret ingredient" is standard ginger ale. It adds a touch of sweetness to the roast, and the ginger flavor is not descernable but definitely adds to the dish. The gravy is wonderful, and no one would ever know it's ginger ale!
Andrew Mellman
User

Jim Battle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:31 pm

by Jim Battle » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:46 pm

My girlfriend and I (both amateur cooks and foodies) tried this last night and loved it!! I added a little more hot sauce and some mushrooms and it was wonderful.
:lol:
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Beef pot roast recipe

by David R. Pierce » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Can't let this section stay vacant! Here's my weekly "30 Second Wine Advisor FoodLetter" recipe from yesterday:

<b>Beef pot roast</b>

I use the same basic recipe but sub. one 12 oz. bottle of Dark Star Porter for the wine and beef broth.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: another option

by David R. Pierce » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:31 pm

andrew mellman wrote:Also, for the cooking liquid my normal "secret ingredient" is standard ginger ale. It adds a touch of sweetness to the roast, and the ginger flavor is not descernable but definitely adds to the dish. The gravy is wonderful, and no one would ever know it's ginger ale!

Sounds like a take on the old school "Coke in the rib mop" method.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:02 pm

I have my own "Cola Pot Roast Stew" recipe if anyone is interested. It's a lot to post, so I'll look for any expressed interest first.

It is goooooood. :D
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:41 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:I have my own "Cola Pot Roast Stew" recipe if anyone is interested. It's a lot to post, so I'll look for any expressed interest first.

It is goooooood. :D

Post it, please. Sharing food is what we do here!
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

Stevie's Cola Pot Roast Stew

by Steve Magruder » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:42 pm

OK, here it is... hope y'all like it. :D

Stevie's Cola Pot Roast Stew
Version 2.1

Using a 5 or 6-qt. crock pot—8 hour preparation (7 hrs. for cooking)—Serves 6 to 8

If you like a pot roast with lots of veggies and a sumptuous, rich gravy, then this recipe is for you. The beef stew recipe of Stevie's grandmother as well as many other recipes he has tasted and read about throughout his life inspire this recipe.

Note: For a 5-qt. pot, use the lowest amounts listed in the ingredients.

Code: Select all
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 lb.  fresh sirloin tip or rump roast(s) (budget substitute: chuck roast)
—                   all-purpose flour
—                   red cooking wine
—                   olive oil
1 1/2               bay leaves
2                   medium yellow onions
2 cloves            garlic (budget substitute: dehyrdated chopped garlic)
1 cup               celery, finely sliced
7 to 8              medium carrots
6 (or more)         medium yellow flesh potatoes (one common name is "Yukon Gold")
1/2 tsp.            thyme
1/2 tsp.            rosemary
1 tbsp.             salt
2 tsp.              black pepper (fresh ground is optimal)
2                   10 3/4 oz. cans of Campbell's Cream of Broccoli soup
1 cup               Coca-Cola (or equivalent fully sweetened cola—don't use "Diet")
2                   beef bouillion cubes
2 tbsp.             corn starch

Directions:

1. After thoroughly rinsing the roast, thoroughly coat it with flour. In a Dutch oven or skillet, coated liberally (1/4 inch deep or more) with olive oil and red cooking wine, pre-heat with medium heat. Be sure not to fully cook the meat. Add extra oil and wine as needed, esp. if you're preparing more than one roast.

2. Place the browned roast in the bottom of the crock pot, and pour in the browning remains and juices. Tear two bay leaves into halves, and lay three halves on top of the meat.

3. Quarter the onions and chop the garlic. Place the onion quarters and chopped garlic into any crevices you can find in the bottom of the crock pot. Toss the celery slices in evenly over the meat and onions/garlic.

4. Slice the carrots into chunky pieces roughly 1 to 1 1/2 inches in length. Toss the carrot chunks into the pot evenly over the stew contents.

5. Add the thyme, rosemary, salt, black pepper and bouillon cubes. Then, add both cans of Cream of Broccoli soup, the Coca-Cola and one (1) cup of water.

6. Leaving the skins on*, slice the potatoes width-wise into pieces no more than 1 inch in width and cut those pieces in half. Toss the potato pieces into the pot. Add potato pieces in until the pot is literally full to the brim, or even higher if the lid accommodates extra space. Add another 1/4 cup of water.

7. Place the cover on the pot and turn the crock pot setting to Low (yes, Low!!). Leave alone to cook for 6 1/2 hours. Note: During the cooking process, it's possible that some liquid may seep out, so it's a good idea to place the pot on top of a towel or pizza pan before you turn on the heat.

8. In a small bowl, mix the corn starch with enough water to turn it into a paste or liquid. Add the starch to the stew gravy and stir it in. Cook for one final 1/2 hour (or up to one full hour if you desire), then serve. Note: If you can, try to remove the bay leaves that end up in any servings—they are for flavoring only and not considered part of the end result.

Serving suggestion: Serve with steamed or sautéed fresh green beans and fresh-baked croissants or dinner biscuits.

*Why leave the skins on? To keep the potatoes from falling apart during the long stewing process, and also to keep the highly nutritive values of the skins. They taste good too.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:39 pm

My favorite french dip recipe....it's to DIE for, and the leftovers make a fabulous veggie beef soup starter...

INGREDIENTS

1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds), trimmed

1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted

1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted

1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted

1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules

8 to 10 French or Italian rolls, split

SERVINGS 8-10

DIRECTIONS

Halve roast and place in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the soup, consomme, broth and bouillon; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender (overnight is even better).
Remove meat and shred with two forks. Serve on rolls. Skim fat from cooking juices and serve as a dipping sauce.

Sauteed mushrooms and provolone cheese would be a fantastic addition, also.