Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Recipe: Roasted Garlic and Wild Mushroom Risotto

by Deb Hall » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:58 pm

Folks,

I made this (again) tonight and wanted to share 'cause it's sooo good. The recipe is from my Mom , Sandy Reese, who is an excellent cook. Note that unlike many risottos, this one has very little oil and no cheese, so it's actually a very healthy alternative- which I for one really appreciate right now. Enjoy!

Deb

Roasted Garlic & Wild Mushroom Risotto

4 Servings

1 very large head garlic, Roasted (either roasted in garlic roaster or top with oil, wrap in foil and bake at 350 for approx. one hour)

1 pkg each: shitake mushrooms and baby bella mushrooms

1/2 cup minced shallots
1/2 tsp dried thyme
3/4 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine (I use Chardonnay)
3 cups chicken broth (Free-range, natural broth if possible).
1 cup thinly sliced fresh baby spinach leaves
Sea Salt and fresh ground Pepper
(optional: white truffle oil)

Trim stems from shitake mushrooms; slice all the mushrooms. Saute mushrooms in 1 T olive oil until golden . Remove from skillet, add another tablespoon of oil olive. Saute shallots and thyme about 4 minutes. Add Rice and stir to coat with shallot mixture. Add wine and cook until almost evaporated. Squeeze roasted garlic from their cloves into the pan and add 1 cup of chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook stirring frequently. When broth is mostly absorbed, add another 1/2 cup of broth and continue stirring. Continue to add chicken broth a 1/2 cup at a time and stirring, as broth is absorbed. Cook until rice is tender and creamy, approx. 20- 25 minutes. Add mushroom mixture and spinach, and cook until spinach is just wilted. Season to taste with good sea salt and ground pepper. Serve warm.

If you are feeling truly indulgent, top each serving with several drops of white truffle oil.
Last edited by Deb Hall on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:24 am

Sounds tasty - just printed the recipe.

What is the shelf life of truffle oil? I have a bottle that I bought to drizzle on a risotto dish, but it's been around a while.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:07 pm

Jay,

If you keep it in the refrigerator and bring it out and to room temp before using (just sit it on a counter for an hour) it'll last a long time. Warmth is it's biggest enemy. I have some that's almost 1 year old that's still close to perfect. But as with all food (except cheese :wink: ), the fresher , the better -so indulge and use it .

Let me know how you like the recipe. Also, I neglected to say season to taste with good sea salt and ground pepper.

Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:15 pm

That sounds so good!

Too bad I'm starting a low carb diet in a week. :?
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks! It would also be even better if you want to splurge a little and use more wild mushrooms (porcini, morels, etc) in lieu of some of the baby bellas.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:51 pm

Wonder if the hubby has seen this recipe (he browses but never posts.) He's a mushroom freak.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm

Deb,

This was on the menu chez nous tonight. It earned our highest accolades: "this is a keeper" and "this is 'company' food".

Thanks for posting it!

(I snuck a little butter in it. :oops: )
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:16 am

Jay,

So glad you liked it!

Thanks for letting me know.

Deb