Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Rum Cake Recipe

no avatar
User

Lia U.

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:10 am

Rum Cake Recipe

by Lia U. » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:39 pm

I am searching for a Rum Cake recipe that does not use a box mix but is entirely from scratch. I had a wonderful Rum Cake while in the Bahamas & have not been able to find a recipe like it. I have tried the variations of the recipe which includes the box cake mix and it doesn't even compare. The Rum Cake in the Bahamas was similar to a pound cake in a bundt pan with a light rum flavor, very moist and light. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:24 pm

1 or 2 quarts rum
baking powder
1 C butter
1 tsp soda
1 tsp sugar
lemon juice
2 large eggs
brown sugar
1 C dried fruit
nuts

Before you start, sample the rum to check for quality. Good, isn't it? Now go ahead. Select a large mixing bowl, measuring cup, etc. Check the rum again. It must be just right. To be sure rum is of the highest quality, pour one level cup of rum into a glass and drink it as fast as you can. Repeat. With an electric mixer, beat 1 cup butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 seaspoon of thugar and beat again. Meanwhile, make sure that the rum is of the finest quality--try another cup. Open second quart, if necessary. Add 2 large leggs, 2 cups fried druit and beat till high. If druit gets stuck in beaters, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the rum again, checking for conscisticity. Next sift 3 cups of pepper or salt (it really doesn't matter which). Sample the rum again. Sift 1/2 pint lemon juice. Fold in chopped butter and strained nuts. Add one babblespoon of brown thugar, or whatever color you can find. Wix mell. Grease oven and turn cake pan to 350 gredees. Now pour whole mess into the coven and ake. Check the rum again, and bo to ged.
no avatar
User

Lia U.

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:10 am

MarieP -- Rum Cake?

by Lia U. » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:21 pm

Marie P: Is this a valid recipe? Have you tried it?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: MarieP -- Rum Cake?

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:42 pm

Lia U. wrote:Marie P: Is this a valid recipe? Have you tried it?

It's a joke, Lia!

I'm sorry I don't have a personal rum cake recipe for you - I'm not much of a dessert baker.

Here are a couple from the Internet that look above average, though:

Epicurious:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/240000

Rachael Ray:
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/de ... ticle.html
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Re: MarieP -- Rum Cake?

by MarieP » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:50 pm

Lia U. wrote:Marie P: Is this a valid recipe? Have you tried it?

LOL! No I haven't. I wouldn't recommend trying it either :wink:
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:11 am

Marie,

Loved this one! Thanks for the chuckles.

Lia,

I have an excellent recipe for Whiskey cake that I also make with Rum sometimes (usually as a Chocolate Rum cake). It is very moist and sounds like you describe. It does however start with a box mix (I'm usually a scratch baker, but it's a family recipe) and it has to sit for several weeks in the refrigerator to soak before eating.

And now I'm going to bo to ged.

Deb