Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

Recreating Taste - Hoe Kow's Beef Fried Rice

by Joni L » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:59 pm

Does anyone remember Hoe Kow on Evergreen? They had the best beef fried rice I have ever had; such umami and flavor. My dad managed Evergreen liquors at the time and would bring it home to us a few times a month in exchange for discounts on adult beverages. :) I've tried to re-create it at home but haven't nailed the taste.

My go-to (which is close but not "it"): marinate thin-sliced sirloin in sake, soy sauce, cornstarch and a little sugar. Stir fry beef, rice, green onion, and bean sprouts with soy sauce. I don't recall theirs having egg, but I do add one because I like it. :)

Any suggestions?

Don't get me started on Godfather's pizza circa 1985 when it was fantastic. I've tried but simply cannot re-create that taste! I know it was a chain, but the flavor was so amazing. It's insane that I can still remember exactly how it tasted (and crave it) over 20 years later!

Have a great day!
Joni
no avatar
User

susan.hair

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Re: Recreating Taste - Hoe Kow's Beef Fried Rice

by susan.hair » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Hoe Kow was owned by George and Lolly Leong. Sons Stuart and Steven. One of the greatest eateries ever. Originally at the airport, they relocated back in the late 70's to Middletown, Kentucky.
Would love to find out if the brothers continued the leagacy.
Loved the restaurant !!! Knew them from Oldham County. :D
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:15 pm

I can still taste how amazing Godfather's (and also the original Mr Gatti's) was in my mind. I crave it, too!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:03 pm

I've never forgotten their famous war sue gai!

I had the pleasure of interviewing Lolly at length for a Louisville Times story in the middle '80s about their history here and their decision to start a Chinese restaurant in 1947 (?) in a town that really didn't know much about Chinese food. I really enjoyed getting to know her.

I have the impression that they said good-bye to the restaurant business when the shop at Shelbyville Road and Evergreen closed, though. I've never heard anything about the brothers carrying on elsewhere.

I also thought it was a shame when the new building was torn down to make room for yet another Walgreens, but that's a whole 'nother story.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:48 pm

I heard that they leased the restaurant site at Evergreen to Walgreen's. I hope George and Lolly got a well-deserved retirement.

My brother and I used to play with the boys, running through the kitchen at Bowman Field. George would shake his tongs at us and laugh.