Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

meat curing

no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Louisville, KY

meat curing

by Mark H. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:53 pm

Does anyone know of a local outlet for meat curing and sausage making supplies? There is a meat market in Bardstown that sells some spices and cures, but not casings and the like. I bought a couple of slabs a of fresh pork belly there and should have some tasty bacon in a few weeks. Anyone else on this forum into messing with meat?
User

Ryan B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm

by Ryan B » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:40 pm

I've bought sausage casings at whole foods. I think they had a couple different sizes since they make a lot of their sausage in house. The ingredient I struggled most in finding was fatback. Had to resort to the internet on that. Good luck.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: meat curing

by Steve Shade » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:01 am

Mark H. wrote:Does anyone know of a local outlet for meat curing and sausage making supplies? There is a meat market in Bardstown that sells some spices and cures, but not casings and the like. I bought a couple of slabs a of fresh pork belly there and should have some tasty bacon in a few weeks. Anyone else on this forum into messing with meat?

I would check with three meat markets in Louisville.

Franks on Preston
Kingsley on Taylorsville rd
Mike Best Meats Brownsboro Rd & Watterson

I know that Mike Best makes a lot of sausages on site, so would probably be best bet. The other two might do the same.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:33 am

You might be surprised to find a lot of meat curing and sausage making equipment and supplies at the Bass Pro Shop.

I too have acquired sausage casings at Whole Foods. Bass Pro Shop carries the synthetic casings.

What kind of smoker are you using? What woods?

I'm keenly interested in finding out if anyone finds a local source for specialty woods, particularly pecan.

Lois
no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Louisville, KY

by Mark H. » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:12 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will try Whole Foods. Bass Pro is kind of expensive on a lot of their products. There is a meat shop in Bardstown that cuts there own pork. They would be able to get fatback or any other cut. The web address is: boonesbutchershop.com. Lois, I've used all kinds of smokers. Now, I mostly use an electric model by Cookshack. Mostly butts with hickory, but I am trying more cured meats like bacon and sausage. Just took off a 4 pound roll of buckboard bacon done cured with maple syrup and smoked with apple. Delicious. You may want to look at the cookshack forum. Those guys live and breathe smoke.