Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Pumpkin Ravioli

no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Pumpkin Ravioli

by Alanna H » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:47 pm

So I picked up some pumpkin ravioli at Lotsa Pasta and I want to make it this weekend. However, it seems like it will be pretty plain by itself. Anyone have an idea for some kind of sauce to put on it? The raviolis have pumkin, spices, cream cheese. I was thinking maybe some sort of praline or butterscotch sauce? I'd like to make something more interesting than just using ice cream topping.
no avatar
User

todd richards

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:00 am

Doesn't have to be sweet....

by todd richards » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:33 pm

Try bacon, dried cranberries, chives & mascarpone.

Just cook the bacon as normal.
Drain the fat from the pan add cranberries and mascarpone.
Remove ravioli from pot allowing some of the pasta water to drain in the other pot. Add the ravioli & chives to the sauce finsih with crumbled bacon.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:38 pm

Todd,

Man, that sounds good!

What do you think of it with some great butternut squash ravioli in lieu of the pumpkin ?(I have a bunch in my freezer).

Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:47 pm

Alanna,

I posted earlier but for some reason it didn't appear. I'm with Todd, think savory for your ravioli. I haven't tried that particular pasta, but I make butternut squash ravioli with a brown butter and sage sauce (add some toasted hazelnuts if you've got them) and that would work really well on pumpkin ravioli too.

Deb
no avatar
User

todd richards

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:00 am

by todd richards » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:46 am

I would say any yellow/orange winter melon would be great. Yams, sweet potato, butternut squash, pumpkin....I forgot to add some fresh grind pepper at the end of the previous post.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:33 am

I've made it many times just as Deb suggested.
(Deb- do you ever have a bad idea? I hope I get a chance to meet you sometime)
But, next time I will follow Todd- that sounds delicious too.
Pumpkin Ravioli is a very good thing- as Ms Stewart would say.
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:25 pm

I recently had squash ravioli and it was accompanied by a gorganzola cream sauce with walnuts. It was delicious!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:27 pm

Gary,

( Deb- do you ever have a bad idea? I hope I get a chance to meet you sometime)

Well, our bank book is saying Gourmet For Everyone :wink: , but I really appreciate the positive feedback! After that remark, my husband's not going to be able to put up with me for a while... :)

Glad to know the input is useful- I learn so much from this site myself.

Deb
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:05 am

Deb Hall wrote:Gary,

( Deb- do you ever have a bad idea? I hope I get a chance to meet you sometime)

Well, our bank book is saying Gourmet For Everyone :wink: , but I really appreciate the positive feedback! After that remark, my husband's not going to be able to put up with me for a while... :)

Glad to know the input is useful- I learn so much from this site myself.

Deb

And I lament the demise of Gourmet For Everyone. Was there a few times and Sandy took a cooking class or two.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:26 am

Deb Hall wrote:Alanna,

I posted earlier but for some reason it didn't appear. I'm with Todd, think savory for your ravioli. I haven't tried that particular pasta, but I make butternut squash ravioli with a brown butter and sage sauce (add some toasted hazelnuts if you've got them) and that would work really well on pumpkin ravioli too.

Deb

I'm going to make ravioli today (digging out the machine), so I've been checking various books etc for ideas. Giada De Laurentiis has a recipe for pumpkin ravioli similar to what you describe. She also adds a little ground nutmeg and sprinkles crushed amaretti cookies on top.

I agree w/ GaryF. I learn a lot from your ideas and posts and thank you for that.
no avatar
User

NWalker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 am

Louisville KY

ravioli recipe

by NWalker » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:00 pm

As a variation on Chef Todd's recipe I would cook some bacon, but remove most of the fat. Add butter, dried cranberries (maybe soaked in bourbon), some raw pinenuts to be toasted in the pan. Let it cook over med until the butter is "brown" and smells nutty. Add a little fresh sage, tinybit of fresh lemon juice, the bacon, and the cooked pasta. You could candy some orange zest and fold it into mascarpone for a garnish to melt over everything after it's on the plate. If the ravioli are very bland I'd mix in some toasted fall spices to the cheese.
no avatar
User

NWalker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 am

Louisville KY

by NWalker » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:14 pm

Some candied ginger would also be good in the mascarpone. Lot's of steps, but it would be good.