Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Question about salts

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Question about salts

by Carla G » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:51 pm

I'd love to get into using different salts like I have so wonderfully experienced while dining out around town. I bought some Himalayin Pink coarse crystals for my salt mill. Mehhh. Not real impressed. Perhaps because, no matter how I adjusted my mill, the crystals broke down into a powdery mess rather than staying in a smaller crystal format. Is that the nature of this variety of salt? I think I prefer a good sea salt at this point. Could anyone recommend one they like?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Question about salts

by Joni L » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:56 am

Great question! I'm a huge fan of kosher salt (always Morton's, store brands I've tried don't have the right consistency). But I do have sea salt and pink salt but I never use them. How about those salt pioneers out there? Share what you've learned! :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:25 pm

I'm not too much help, I'm afriad. I've played around with some fancy salts, fell in love with Australian flake salt when I spent a few weeks Down Under, but at this point am back to the simple basics: Morton's Iodized for the pantry, used mostly for bulk jobs like salting pasta water or filling salt shakers; and kosher for cooking because it has the same flaky character as the fancy Australian stuff for a fraction of the price.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:28 pm

I think of salts in two ways- cooking or finishing.

Kosher is the best and most economical for cooking with. At the restaurant, we offer a brand that is called 'Falksalt' as a finishing salt. It's nice, without costing $1000 an ounce.

Finishing salts are where it gets fun, though. Black lava for appearance. Himalayan (like you said) powders and is ideal for salads and poached meats. Australian River Salt is a favorite on fois gras or caramel. A 1/2 and 1/2 kosher to Hawaiian (powdered) makes a Margarita look really pretty. Smoked salt from Bourbon Barrel Foods is a nice compliment to most anything.

If you're going to accent the food with a finishing salt, just don't cook with salt so you don't overdo it.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:02 am

Thank you Stephen! Thinking of salt in those terms helps me understand using them. So, pretty much, save the fancy stuff for finishing?
And just for curiosity's sake, which salt costs $1000 an ounce?!
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:42 am

Carla G wrote:Thank you Stephen! Thinking of salt in those terms helps me understand using them. So, pretty much, save the fancy stuff for finishing?
And just for curiosity's sake, which salt costs $1000 an ounce?!

I was being figurative.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:58 pm

A www see there! For a minute I was all excited about a possible saffron salt. (Which isn't such a bad idea now that I think about it.)
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

by Lora S » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:39 pm

Carla,

A friend of a friend introduced me to finishing salts via Phoenix, AZ. A great website with information is http://store.golbsalt.com/

This web site explains the different types of salt and their uses as well as pairings. Hope it helps! Lora
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:04 pm

Thanks Lora!
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }