Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

What's your favorite local farmers market?

by Joni L » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:51 pm

I can tend to be a creature of habit, so I typically go to the St Matthews farmers market on Saturday mornings. It's good-sized with lots of offerings, but I'm sure there are some others that I should check out. Which one(s) are your favorite, and why?

Thanks!
Joni
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: What's your favorite local farmers market?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:52 pm

Joni Lemke wrote:I can tend to be a creature of habit, so I typically go to the St Matthews farmers market on Saturday mornings. It's good-sized with lots of offerings, but I'm sure there are some others that I should check out. Which one(s) are your favorite, and why?

Joni, I think I like the St. Matthews market best, too, because it's big, varied, requires local produce, and has easy parking. I wish it didn't have to start late in the season and finish early, though. :(

I like Bardstown Road, and since we live exactly midway between it and St. Matthews, the car sometimes points itself west rather than east, and that's okay, too. It also requires local produce, has been around the longest, and has some really great farmers. It's a little smaller and more cramped, and parking can get wild. Still, a good choice.

So is the Douglass Loop market in the same neighborhood, which is small but has some extremely interesting local farmers and is open all year. It doesn't open until 10 a.m., though, and I usually like to do this early on Saturdays.

The little market in front of Rainbow Blossom in St. Matthews on Sunday afternoon is nice, too, with a lot of the same farmers who go to Bardstown Road. It's small, but you can also pop in to Rainbow Blossom while you're there, and Lotsa Pasta across the street, so it's a foodie mecca.

Oh, and sometimes we go down to the Phoenix Hill/Nulu market at Growers Supply (Baxter and Jefferson). All local, and some farmers you won't find at the other places. I think it's on Thursday afternoons, but you'd have to check.

Those are pretty much the ones we go to. I'm interested to see what favorites others have. Thanks for a good question!
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:44 am

My local Farmers market is the Beechmont Open Air Market, we have live music. free yoga every Saturday, a variety of local craftspeople and produce from the same group of farmers for the last 10 years. A separate lot for parking so easy access too.. https://www.facebook.com/beechmontopenairmarket?fref=ts . We like it and so do our neighbors.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:13 am

Gary Guss wrote:My local Farmers market is the Beechmont Open Air Market, we have live music. free yoga every Saturday, a variety of local craftspeople and produce from the same group of farmers for the last 10 years. A separate lot for parking so easy access too.. https://www.facebook.com/beechmontopenairmarket?fref=ts . We like it and so do our neighbors.

That sounds worth the quick trip across Eastern Parkway to the way cool Beechmont neighborhood!
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:54 pm

Opening day is tomorrow.. Pollo Food Truck, Outdoor Yoga from Supreme Peace, Bill Stovall and Engine 18 playing bluegrass and Donald Taylor giving chair massages and selling his soaps lotions and a bunch of other stuff. 8-12noon Right off Watterson at Southern Parkway at Wellington.