Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

Where to buy bits for stock?

by Joni L » Thu May 14, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi all!

I'm working on my "perfect" shoyu ramen broth, and would like to buy chicken and pork bones and chicken feet. Does anyone know the best place to find these items? I've heard great things about Frank's Meats, but I'm not sure if they keep such parts on hand. Any first-hand knowledge on Frank's, or know who might carry them?

Thanks in advance!
Joni
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: Where to buy bits for stock?

by Lois Mauk » Fri May 15, 2015 11:30 pm

Look for chicken feet in Asian groceries and in some Hispanic groceries.

I buy them for my dogs (excellent for cleaning their teeth and lots of glucosamine) but I usually stock up at Jungle Jim's in Cinncinnati.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joni L » Fri May 15, 2015 11:44 pm

Soooo, I'll answer my own question. I went to the Valu Market in Iriquois and found pork neck bones, chicken backs and necks, and yes, chicken feets!! All at very reasonable prices (around $2 each pack, and I have the extra feet in the freezer). They are currently simmering (after roasting an hour) with aromatics and I plan to babysit them overnight to get all of their savory goodness, while shoyu eggs and bamboo shoots are marinating in the fridge. Here's hoping for a great ramen tomorrow night after the Highlands Beer Fest!

The feet were a little "real" for me but hopefully their gelatinous umami will make me forget the toenails...haha! My daughter's boyfriend asked if I was going to paint them...

Best to all,
Joni
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joni L » Fri May 15, 2015 11:54 pm

Sorry, thank you Lois! Obviously I didn't see your reply before posting mine!

Jungle Jim's is a foodie wonderland, no? Do you go to the original or new one? I ask because we went to the newer one recently, and even my 16 year old son said it just wasn't the same... Definitely worth a pilgrimage!

Which Asian groceries do you like in the Lou? I'm really into Choi's in Lyndon because of their selection, but haven't seen chicken feet there. And yes, I gave my dog one and she loved it! :)

Thanks for your reply!!!
Joni
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sat May 16, 2015 12:02 am

Next time you might try Preston Street Poultry (941 S. Preston St.). They process a lot of chicken there. I recently found out a friend was getting chicken scraps for her dogs there.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joni L » Sat May 16, 2015 12:16 am

Awesome tip, thank you Suzi!!
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat May 16, 2015 12:49 am

Thanks, Suzi, for the tip about Preston Street Poultry. I need to check them out for chicken "frames" and bony parts to make bone broth. I've got several quarts of turkey, beef and ham broth canned and ready but I'm all out of chicken broth. Need to restock.

After browning bones in a hot oven, we cover with water and add aromatics and a splash of ACV (apple cider vinegar). Simmer for 24-36 hours in the roaster oven, strain and chill overnight to remove solidified fat. Heat and process in pressure canner in pints and quarts. Unbelievable flavor!

Good luck on your shoyu ramen broth, Joni. I've never heard of it but it sounds awesome. BTW, I've only been to the original Jungle Jim's so I can't compare it to the new one.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sat May 16, 2015 12:55 pm

We went to the new Jungle Jim's on Sunday on our way back from WV. It is nice, but does not have the "feel" of the original, nor is it as big. Since it is on our route to WV, we will probably stop there more often. We take trips to the original usually twice a year. In fact we were thinking about putting together a group to go there and to the shops in Ohio Amish Country.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat May 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Joni, dying to hear how your stock turned out.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joni L » Sun May 17, 2015 3:56 pm

Lois, the broth turned out great! Really velvety and loads of umami. Roasted pork neck bones and chicken bones, the feet, and aromatics: ginger, garlic, scallion, onion, peppercorns and simmered about 12 hours. I finished it with soy sauce, rice vinegar, Mirin, and some chili flakes for a little heat.

I served it with traditional toppings: marinated bamboo shoots, shoyu eggs (soft boiled then soaked overnight in soy sauce and a little vinegar), scallion greens, and sliced Asian-seasoned pork. Oh, and noodles, of course! :). I couldn't find fresh ramen noodles, so I subbed some nice frozen Japanese noodles I found at Choi's. I also added beech mushrooms because they looked really fresh and we love mushrooms, and served Fresno chiles on the side for my fiery food loving boyfriend.

image.jpg
image.jpg (10.51 KiB) Viewed 12120 times

What's everyone cooking today? I'm experimenting with Hungarian. Cabbage rolls, beef goulash, spatzle (dried, don't be impressed), and cucumber salad.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sun May 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Sounds amazing. Glad it worked out for you.
Chicken feet rule!
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:39 am

Reviving this thread because I'm searching for chicken backs to make stock/bone broth. Valumarket on Iroquois says they don't carry them anymore; said they can't get them. Any other ideas for local retail sources?
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joni L » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:25 am

Hi Lois!

Of all places, I found backs and necks at Whole Foods. I thought their price was fairly reasonable (especially for WF); just checked the package in my freezer and I paid $1.30/lb.

I also want to check out Preston Street Poultry. If someone who's been there reads the thread - will you please post what you can get there, and how their prices are? Any chance of fresh duck?

Have a great day!!
Joni
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:28 am

Does Preston Street Poultry sell retail?
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Lois Mauk wrote:Does Preston Street Poultry sell retail?

Used to .. that was a number of years ago, but people did come in off the street and buy.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
Next