Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

hors d'oervres

User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

hors d'oervres

by Beth K. » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:43 pm

I would love some suggestions for a party. Preferably inexpensive things that don't require utensils. I have enough dip/spread recipes, so unless it's revolutionary, I can probably do without more.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: hors d'oervres

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:11 pm

Beth K. wrote:I would love some suggestions for a party. Preferably inexpensive things that don't require utensils. I have enough dip/spread recipes, so unless it's revolutionary, I can probably do without more.

Here's one from my archives that's a sure crowd-pleaser, Beth!

<b>Gougères</b>
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:56 pm

We did this at a reception along with some other much more elaborate hor d'oervres and they flew off the table.

Small, bite size slices of a good bread or sliced baguette
Spread with a good mayo
top with slice of roma tomato
Sprinkle with sea salt and top with jullianned fresh basil

Don't cut any corners like subbing table salt for sea salt or not using fresh basil (my favorite for this is a dark, licorice basil) If you do they just be kind of mmeph instead of da bomb.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:33 am

I'm pretty good with computers, but for the life of me I can't paste an address onto this forum-so-
If you go to http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/19/dining and clickon Mark Bittman's article he has 101 Simple Appetizers. All are really easy, require few utensils or much preparation and sound delicious. Most are of the "O yeah, of course. Why didn't I think of that" variety.
Have fun, Beth.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:46 am

GaryF wrote:for the life of me I can't paste an address onto this forum

Actually, you just did! :D

The simple way to put in a link is simply to paste it in! (Avoid having punctuation adjacent to it, though).

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/19/dining

This works well unless you have a very long link. In such a case, the link will not break in the middle of the line, and that can cause an ugly result, "stretching" the forum page horizontally. In those cases, it's better to use BBCode (a rudimentary form of HTML that this forum supports) to embed the link, like this:

Mark Bittman's NY Times article on 101 appetizers

If you want to know how I did that, request Lesson Two. ;)
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:37 am

The original link for Bittman's article didn't work for me. I did manage to find it though and wanted to repost, just in case anyone else is interested.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/19/dining/19mini.html?em

Great suggestions everyone! I'm definitely going to have to make the gruyere puffs. The recipe looks very easy and similar to a profiterole.

I also found a recipe for mockamole. It's guacamole made with a bag of frozen peas! Considering the cost of avocados vs. a bag of frozen peas, I'm definitely going to give this one a try. I'll post back if it's any good.

Cheers!
no avatar
User

Nancy Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:37 am

The Country

by Nancy Inman » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:49 pm

I haven't tried this but I plan to.

Merry Tomatoes
30 to 40 Cherry Tomatoes -- Stems removed
1 cup Vodka
1 Teaspoon Celery Salt
1/4 teaspoons lemon-pepper

Place the tomatoes in a glass bowl ( like a small trifle bowl , I use a wine glass rinser because I collect them they resemble small trifle bowls) pour vodka over them ( you made need more than one cup of vodka because you want the tomatoes to be covered) in a separate bowl place celery salt and lemon pepper you have combined I like a wide mouthed shallow bowl for this next to if place a container full of tooth picks ( I use a silver egg cup ) .. guest stab a tomato and dip in the salt/pepper combination.. tastes just like a bloody Mary ....
Notes : I double the salt and Pepper mixture so that guests don't have to dip all the way into a bowl to get the mixture that's why something more the shape of ash tray works ...
Someone says that she peels the little grape tomatoes so they will
absorb more of the vodka. ( I would say just a tiny strip would do) What a great idea. She also says she uses pepper and lemon zest instead of a lemon pepper mixture, then you get a burst of really fresh lemon flavour from the zest.
Nancy Inman