Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Foodie Shopping in the Ville

no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

Foodie Shopping in the Ville

by Joni L » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:06 pm

I'm interested in hearing from others on their "hidden gems" for obtaining unusual or luxury foods in Louisville. For example, is there anywhere for the public to purchase foie gras or duck fat locally? Whole truffles? Ramps? Octopus? I have performed a lot of internet searches, and haven't located anything so far. I understand that Creation Gardens used to offer the public access to such items, but have since then moved to restaurant-only service.

Also, just for fun, which are your favorite ethnic markets? I'm currently in love with Choi's on Lyndon lane for an amazing selection of all things Asian, kind and courteous service, and good prices.

Thanks for your responses!!!
Joni
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Foodie Shopping in the Ville

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi, Joni, and welcome to the forum. It's a shame that Doll's and Burger's have both closed, as those offered two very good answers to your question. To my mind, this makes it all the more important that we support our remaining local good-food shops. I try to give Lotsa Pasta and Rainbow Blossom a lot of business, because they're local and good. I won't deny that I sometimes to to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, but I try to spend $2 at Lotsa and Rainbow for every $1 that I spend there.

Choi's, as you mention, is worthy, and there are tons of other small ethnic shops around. Some I identify more by location than by name. The Russian/Internationa/Bosnian shops on Old Bardstown Road in Buechel, and a Chinese/Asian shop nearby. The Chinese place at the corner of Preston and Gilmore Lane is excellent, and the big Asian/Vietnamese grocery on the west side of Preston near the railway crossing is excellent, too. Lots of little Latino bodegas and panaderias around ... quite a few on Preston and on Northern Boulevard in Clarksville; a nice one on La Grange Road near Hurstbourne. There's a little strip mall on the south side of Westport about a mile west of Goose Creek with both a Middle Eastern grocery (Nara's, excellent) and a taqueria/bodega. Al Watan on Klondike Lane for Middle Eastern dining and grocery. A very good Indian grocery adjacent to Shalimar, SW quadrant of I-64 at Hurstbourne, near Liquor Barn.

There's tons more, but that's my personal quick brain dump. :)