Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Desperately Seeking Citron!

User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Desperately Seeking Citron!

by Gary Guss » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:43 pm

Trying to find some citron , you know that dried fruit stuff you see in fruitcakes.. So far hit up two Krogers ( Teeny Weeny at 3rd Street, and giant vacuous Kroger at New Cut) and the ValuMarket ...No joy! I need some so I can make Hot Cross buns for Easter.. I need it by tomorrow because the dough needs to sit over night and I want to bake them Saturday for Sunday.. Anybody ?

Thanks,

GG.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Desperately Seeking Citron!

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:37 pm

Penzey's? Whole Foods? Even possibly Lotsa Pasta? Sorry they're all a bit of a haul from Beechmont, though. :(
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:47 pm

I'll try Trader Joes in the AM, they have a lot of dried fruit and so does Meijer.. Kroger has it at Christmas, I'm not sure why, maybe Fruitcake manufacturing.. I got a great Bernard Clayton bread book at Half Price for $7, and its got a good recipe in there for Hot Cross buns. Great book to read also. It will be scary leaving Beechmont for the unknown lands of the east, but I guess it will be safe enough if I can get past the Gardiner Lane hipsters..

GG
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:49 pm

No citron but I nailed some sugared tangerine at Trader Joes, that stuff is like dope so I'm sure it will be a good stand-in for citron. Hot Cross bun dough is rising and we bake at dawn .. or later depending on when I feel like getting up. Dough looked and smelled good, pretty sure it wont be a doorstop or baseballs.. Here's the recipe if anybody wants to try it..http://www.ochef.com/r473.htm
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:14 pm

I know this doesn't really help you after the fact, but I was just at Valu Market in the Highlands and they have several tubs of citron discounted to 99 cents...in the front of the store with the leftover Easter stuff.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Thanks ... thats good to know I'll dash over and grab a tub.. Tangerine stuff worked but wasn't a good stand in for Citron.. GG
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:29 pm

Scored some at ValuMarket Highlands for $0.99 a tub.. thanks Alanna H. ! Making another batch of hot cross buns for this Sunday..