Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

what brand of grits is best?

no avatar
User

Bethy Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 am

Louisville

what brand of grits is best?

by Bethy Johnson » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:27 am

I've tried every brand I've seen. Am using Weisbergers now. I try and try but I just can't get them really really creamy (you know, like LouLou's does) they're always still a little solid in the center no matter how long I cook them. What's my problem?
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:32 am

I personally think you're using a great product. However, you may need more stirring. A lot more stirring. Make sure the grits are fully incorporated as you slllooowly pour them into the boiling water.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: what brand of grits is best?

by Marsha L. » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:41 am

Bethy Johnson wrote:I've tried every brand I've seen. Am using Weisbergers now. I try and try but I just can't get them really really creamy (you know, like LouLou's does) they're always still a little solid in the center no matter how long I cook them. What's my problem?

Bethy - we use heavy whipping cream instead of the water called for on the package. And (shhhh) we use a relatively inexpensive brand of grits, nothing like as high-end as Weisbergers (although Weisbergers is divine). Also, we stir in shredded mozzarella once it's off the heat but still warm.

I love those grits - I usually eat a little bowl for breakfast!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: what brand of grits is best?

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:15 am

Bethy Johnson wrote:I've tried every brand I've seen. Am using Weisbergers now. I try and try but I just can't get them really really creamy (you know, like LouLou's does) they're always still a little solid in the center no matter how long I cook them. What's my problem?

Bethy, I agree with the others that Weisenberger Mill grits are da bomb.

Thinking out loud, the fact that each grit <i>does</i> maintain its integrity - sort of like a perfect risotto in which every grain of rice is creamy, yet still has a tiny resistance of <i>al dente</i> at the center - is part of what makes this product so good.

For "creamy," though, just add a little cheese - or heavy cream - or both, and you'll have the most amazing grits you've ever tasted.

As Leah says, you do want to mix the grits into the water well so you don't get lumps, but I don't think you're talking about lumpy here.

Weisenberger grits can also stand plenty of cooking, and my other question would be whether you're cooking them long enough. Per package directions, you should bring them to the boil, stirring, until they start to thicken, then keep them over medium heat about 25 minutes uncovered, stirring now and then, and <i>then</i> cover them and cook them still longer over very, very low heat "until they're done." The entire process can take a half-hour to 45 minutes or so. They can't be rushed, but they're worth it.

Here's a recipe for a fancified, city-style shrimp and grits that I wrote just last month, featuring Weisenberger grits and describing the technique outlined above. You might enjoy checking it out.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:47 am

Carolina Plantation makes some spectacular grits (thanks for reminding me, I've got a pot full simmering right now).

We brought ours home from a garden tour of Charleston, S.C. and have been hooked ever since.

They carry the grits at The Fresh Market Store on Shelbyville Rd.

The website for Carolina Plantation:

http://www.carolinaplatationrice.com

Also try the red cowpeas, good eatin'.
no avatar
User

Bethy Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 am

Louisville

Should have asked a long time ago!

by Bethy Johnson » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:26 am

Thank you ALL, going to try every one of your suggestions. Headed out for whuppin cream and mozz right now AND red cowpeas!!! I love them and had no idea they were right over there at the FM. Maybe when I get to NY I can appease my daughter's who is mad at me right now because I told her I can't bring Loulou's shrimp and grits with me.
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:53 am

A friend outside Livonia IN gave me some (25 lbs!!!!) grits because she knew that I made cheese grits for Thanksgiving. They came from a bulk foods store somewhere over there in Amish country. They have cooked up as creamy and good as anything else I have tried.

MissChele
MissChele