Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Wine Recommendations?

no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

Wine Recommendations?

by Lori R. » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:43 pm

Any specific wine pairing recommendations to go with Chateaubriand ? My sister is going to prepare that dish for Christmas and I said I would supply the wine.

Thanks!
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:14 pm

Lori,

The classic pairing would be Cabernet Sauvignon. If you want to stay with the French theme, choose a Bordeaux. It might be fun to pick a New World version of CS from California or Chile and an Old World Bordeaux and compare them during dinner. I would go to one of the local wine stores and ask for suggestions choosing specific labels.

I'd also probably consider something from the southern Rhone Valley in France, such as a Cote du Rhone Villages, Vacqueyras, or Chateauneuf du Pape (usually pricey). These are made from Grenache and Syrah grapes - not Cabernet Sauvignon, but I like 'em.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Wine Recommendations?

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:36 pm

Lori R. wrote:Any specific wine pairing recommendations to go with Chateaubriand ? My sister is going to prepare that dish for Christmas and I said I would supply the wine.

Jay's advice is excellent, Lori. Cabernet Sauvignon (or red Bordeaux, which is usually dominated by Cabernet) is one of the classic choices; another classic is Pinot Noir (or Burgundy, "Bourgogne" in France).

If you don't mind telling us what part of town you live in, we can probably point you to a particularly good wine shop or two where you can trust the proprietors to give you good advice.
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

by Lori R. » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:35 pm

I went to the store earlier today since we are heading out of town for Christmas in the morning. I ended up picking up some Franciscan Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville Estate 2000 and some Atteca Old Vine.

Thank you very much and Happy Holidays!!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:10 pm

Lori R. wrote:I went to the store earlier today since we are heading out of town for Christmas in the morning. I ended up picking up some Franciscan Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville Estate 2000 and some Atteca Old Vine.

Thank you very much and Happy Holidays!!

Those should be entirely appropriate and go with the beef just fine, Lori! Enjoy the day!