Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Bulk spices

User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

Bulk spices

by TracyBasham » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:35 pm

I normally order from Atlantic Spice Co but over the last year or so, shipping time seems to take longer & longer (2 wks at times).
So lets hear where you get your from.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Bulk spices

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:42 am

Tracy, the Penzey's brick-and-mortar store in Shelbyville Road Plaza, near Trader Joe's and "where Hawley-Cook books used to be) is good, if you don't insist on shopping local. Rainbow Blossom has stuff in bulk, although not a lot of spices. Lotsa Pasta has excellent spices measured in tubs. I expect they could set up a bulk order for you on request.

I usually get most of my spices at Lotsa Pasta, bulk stuff like lentils at Rainbow, and occasional trips to Penzey's for something exotic.
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

by TracyBasham » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:52 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the recommendations.
User

SheilaKalajdžić

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:16 pm

by SheilaKalajdžić » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:25 pm

We buy the majority of our bulk spices at Patel Brothers Indian Marketplace on Hurstbourne Lane next to Shalimar and the International Hala Supermarket on Poplar Level Road. The Fresh Market has a good spice selection, but the only thing I buy in bulk there is ground rosemary. I've purchased some spices in bulk at Lotsa Pasta. We also buy some speciality spice mixes in bulk at the Bosnian grocery store in Beuchel.